What is your favorite pultry related book or website.

loverOFchickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Website exept BYC of course we all know you like that already
lol.png
Can't wait to see the anwsers
big_smile.png

Favorite sites:

1. BYC - of course
2. feathersite.com - great pictures
3. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html - this is a great quick reference on breeds

Favorite books:

1. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow (not a lot of pictures though, but alot of good information)
2. Chickens by Sue Weaver (much smaller book - not near as informative as my first choice, but i really liked it, it also listed the BYC in the back as a reference, which is how i found this site)
3. Extraordinary Chickens and Extra Extraordinary Chickens by Stephen Green-Armytage (best pictures, definitely a great coffee table book)

ETA book number 3

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention one of my favorite books is The History of Domestic Poultry.... not sure on the author has info on most breeds.

Keep them coming..

My favorite poultry-related book is Extraordinary Chickens. When I was in middle school, Smithsonian Magazine did an article featuring the photographer's pictures of chickens. I loved it so much that I wrote a letter to the magazine telling them how great I thought the article was. They forwarded my letter to the photographer and he sent me a free, autographed calendar with tons of his chicken photos.

Now I get the yearly Extraordinary Chickens calendars for my kitchen, and cut up old ones to have pictures to decorate my classroom with. I love weirding out the city kids. A lot of them think all chickens look like Foghorn Leghorn (they've never seen Silkies, any kind of Polish, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom