What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

How do I handle them?..hmmm. good question. Emus are interesting birds. Normally they are not aggressive. They also cannot back up or kick to the rear. I can lead mine around with a handful of grapes, which they love to be fed. When I don't have grapes, I can stand behind them and put my arms around their torsos and walk/steer them in the direction that I want them to go...
ok thats cute and awesome

Our friendliest chicken is a Buff Brahma. It's weird cuz we have two Dark Brahmas who aren't friendly at all. But "Buffy" is just sweet as can be. She was the one the others picked on when she was younger, and she used to come hide behind my leg to protect herself from the other birds! But as she grew up, she learned to fend for herself a bit more (although she still may be on the lowest rung of the pecking order!), and she doesn't hold back when it comes time to get herself fed.

She makes the sweetest little sounds too.... she always sounds like she is quietly singing and gurgling.... and she happily comes up to get pet whenever I come down to the coop or to let them out of the run for some free ranging. She definitely loves the human interaction, and loves being held and massaged.

I don't know if it is anything to do with her breed, or if it's just her personality, but she is a lovely, loving chicken!

Cochins always seem to be my friendliest, most animated birds. My avitar shows me with my little Emma, a barred rock cochin who's been a favorite of mine since she was a baby chick - she LOVES to sit up on my shoulder. I have also an adorable red cochin named Lucy who follows me everywhere and loves being carried around. I have a small rare breed girl that I'm told is a "rapanui", though I'll just have to take the girl's word for it that sold her to me - she was quite shy at first, but now loves to sit on my lap. I have a small assortment of others that are all sweet...but honestly, the cochins historically always seem to be my favorites.

Zoe, my "rapanui" (?) with Emma (these two are best friends), about 2 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom