What is your "If only someone had told me!" moment?

I wish I knew NOT to buy from a hatchery! could have saved me a lot of time and heartache :th

I've read you posts and I dont get it all. I can understand if youre against hatcheries because of their practices but I cant get my head around the idea of bashing a hatchery based on your bird buying experience or how you seem to support induvidual enthusiasts because of your experience. Seems youre supporting who caused the problem and focusing your anger against the one that didnt do anything wrong.
Its like someone buying a car from a dealer and running it in the ground for a few years then putting it up for sale. Then you come along see the car notice that it isnt in the best shape but really wanting a car you purchase it anyways then when it breaks down you turn around and say dont buy cars from dealerships.
You could of used your experience to give the OP some great advice.
As you said you saw red flags and ignored them because you were excited to get chickens. Thats a great lesson that many have learned. Dont let your emotions guide you. Trust your gut, pay attention to warning signs. Dont buy on impulse.
Look at every situation as it is. There can be the good, the bad and the ugly about every route you go with getting chicks. Whether its from a hatchery, from a backyard breeder, feed store, eggs from BYC or whatever.
Health. Buy smart. If theres red flags about or concerns about health of a bird. PASS IT UP. As you know its hard to get back ahead with a sick bird. Its not worth it to bring home sickly birds in hopes of saving them. It is a lot of heartache and if you already have birds it can cost you your whole flock and even any birds you bring in for years after.
Quarantine any new birds you bring home even if they are not showing signs of illness.
I'll let this post go now but as you see there could of been a lot taken to help newbies from your one experience but instead you went on a hatchery headhunt.
JMHO

Last edited:
Okay, this is basic one, but I wish someone would have told me you HAVE to have a lid on your brooder or they will fly out and never be able to get back in. When we first got them we just stuck them in a small tub inside for a couple of days to get a more permanent brooder set up and they kept flying out and pooping on the carpet of the room we had them in! So, for new chicken people- lid on brooder, even indoors.

Second thing, don't raise ducks with the chickens. Set up two separate brooders for the first few weeks. Not to say that it's impossible, because it isn't, but it's a lot less work. Not knowing any better we tossed them all in together- which was fine, no fights or anything, but the ducks squash the chicks to get to food and water, and play in the water and get the brooder SOAKED. Although baby ducks shouldn't be wet any more than chicks should, really, they can still handle it better than chicks can.

Also, do your research on the breeds you want before you go pick them up, or get them, and memorize what they should look like at a few days old. When we went to TSC the guy told us that even though the chicks were in the red pullets bin, he knew for a fact they were RIRs. We believed him and got 6. A couple of weeks later we realize.... hey! these aren't RIRs; what are these? We actually got 6 red stars, which isn't a big deal, we love them anyways. But do your research on the breed before you take the advice of just anyone who works around the chicks.

I'm still a newbie myself, but these are the main things i've learned in the past month...wow, I've had chicks for a whole month and none have died! That's a better track record than with my garden.
lau.gif

Quote: Sadly, you are correct in the practices, MOST OF THE TIME. Hatcheries can be, and often are, the puppy mills of the poultry world. BUT Not all hatcheries are this evil. And, even so, the large hatcheries were created as a business to supply the large commercial egg and poultry producers, not the small scale farmer or, more recently, backyard hobbyist. They are not in the business of caring about breeding quality past what the large scale producers care about which is short term, high volume egg production and/or rapid weight gain. Some of them recognized the emerging market for the return of small scale hobby farms and new interest in heritage breeds and backyard flocks.

That said, there are hatcheries out there that do NOT keep their own breeding stock, or get them from those that function, as you described. There are hatcheries out there that truly careabout poultry and work closely with the breeders that supply their eggs and take pride in supplying quality chicks that are good representations of the breeds they represent. (I know of at least one if you wish to pm me). Do your research tho because there are also operations out there that are nothing more than go betweens, just taking your order and passing it on to who knows who but making you think you are buying their pretty little fluffy butts.

Last edited:
I have one rooster in my flock. He has been held and hand fed since hatching. The first winter we had our chickens, he started being very aggressive towards us and our barn cats. I was ready to just eat him when I mentioned the problem to an old farmer who had noticed the massive bulls eye bruise on the back of my leg. He told me that KEEPING A ROOSTER CONFINED MAKES THEM AGGRESSIVE! The man told me that "fighting roosters fight because they can't get away. The "no accounts" that breed these birds have to keep them tied up or caged up to keep their hateful temperment. All that rooster wants is to stroll through the pasture, pecking and crowing and gathering up hens."
So we have made it a point to let them come out of their coop every day and my rooster hasn't attacked me or my cats again.

Im pretty new to chicks have 4 3 week old (hoping pullets) im sure there are going to be a lot of things I wished I knew after. But im wondering why I didnt know earlier how much fun they are.would have had then years ago!

The chicks are SOOOO funny. Even the older hens are entertaining. If I had known how funny they would be I would have had chicks years ago. This week I've been late to work every single day because I'm too busy watching the chicks in the morning instead of getting ready to leave.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Like I said, this is just my experience and I am just 1 person. I am sure lots of people get hatchery stock and don't even give it a 2nd thought.

I don't agree with hatchery practices. I don't like that the hens are kept in a large barn that's wall-to-wall chickens, no access to free range, grass, greens, or trees. I don't believe that hatcheries are selective in the way that a backyard enthusiast might be; spending time with them, actually knowing the hens, observing their behavior, personalities, and health. I think they are after the highest # of birds, eggs, and chicks to make the highest profits possible. I don't like the idea of sacrificing certain principles for the almighty dollar.

Hatcheries prevent widespread illness by giving anti-biotics to the general population on a regular schedule, which also happens to kill all the good bacteria in the digestive system (pro biotics can help with this, but by repeatedly killing all the bacteria, it is severely deflating the immune system). I don't agree with this practice.

Here is a video of hatchery hens, no this isn't considered inhumane, however I do not find it acceptable for the way I want my chickens to be raised:

Another consideration is the disposal of male chicks. Everyone wants females, but 50% of all chicks hatched are males. The males are not killed humanely in my opinion. In a hatchery they are dropped into a meat grinder while still alive. This is considered humane in hatchery practices, but it gives me nightmares. here is a video of this practice, [COLOR=FF0000]warning[/COLOR], it's [COLOR=FF0000]VERY[/COLOR] upsetting:
it also shows chicks on conveyer belts, and de-beaking, just warning you.

I can pretty much guarantee you that any small backyard breeder is going to take great pains to make sure any life they take is taken humanely and only when necessary. Yes, I have culled a baby chick before. I cut off it's head in 1 smooth motion, while it was held warm and comforted in my hands. It had no fear, it didn't feel anything past the severing of it's spinal cord. I only culled it because I had to, not because of it's gender. The remaining males I hatch are grown up to butcher weight, then processed for the table. I believe this is the most humane and ethical way of doing things, and it's the only way I can participate in poultry rearing with a clear conscience.

more hatchery information: http://www.juststruttinfarm.com/hatchery-horrors.html
you still shouldn't say that your experience discredits hatcheries. You didn't buy them from a hatchery, you bought them from someone else.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's been illegal to use antibiotics in poultry since the 80's or 90's...maybe that's the growth hormones I'm thinking of.

I think you are getting "battery" keeping mixed up with hatcheries. Several hatcheries have places even my spoiled chickens would love to live

Last edited:
Hormones aren't used any more. Antibiotics are. I've gotten nice birds (not show quality) from both hatcheries and private breeders. Things to remember; Ft. Knox coop for night time, and a safe run for times when free ranging isn't possible. No chicken wire! Good food pays, treats are extra. Balanced diet matters. Biosecurity! Bring in a sick bird, and regret it forever. Some chicks will die, with the best of care. Name them later if it helps. Chicken math! I started with three, and 20+ years later, overwinter 30 to 35. Try different breed that look interesting, and are compatable with your climate, and enjoy! Mary

Back
Top Bottom