What is your latest prepping project?

You haven't lived until you've composted your own poop! Outhouse made of old fence panels and old shipping container. I don't have any pics of the actual toilet, but picture a large box made of plywood with a toilet seat installed on the top. The whole top flips up on a hinge, and beneath it there's a bug screen resting on top of the plastic storage box you're about to poop into, aka the litter box for humans. Remove screen. Poop into litter box with sawdust in it. Put a fresh scoop of sawdust on the poop. You can put your toilet paper in there too. Replace screen. Box fills up in 1-2 weeks. Transfer contents to used 55 gallon drum from Craigslist and stir it all up. In 1-2 years you have top rate compost. We have been doing this since August 2015. THERE IS NO SMELL AT ALL, NOT EVEN IN SUMMER. An indoor flush toilet is far stinkier. This uses ZERO water or electricity, only a little sawdust, an environmentally friendly byproduct that is cheap and easy to get. Whole setup, including three 55 gallon drums, which seems to be plenty for the two of us, cost us about $200. Sawdust cost about $2/month. Cheapest and greenest way to poop! I really should get pictures of our whole urine diversion system and everything. Only disadvantage I can see is that it might not work so well in colder climates. We rarely get freezes here. See pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.550972455072509.1073741834.347547505415006&type=3

Sheep are not hard to raise. And boy are they good at escaping....maybe not as well as goats but still pretty talented. We raised Suffolk when we lived in Tennessee and I think that the wool sheep are more trouble because finding someone who still sheers, Trust me it is not as easy as it looks. They need a little shelter down here in Alabama but wool is not good because of the heat. The biggest problem with sheep is that they tend to over eat and bloat. Katahdin sheep are very resistant to parasites, usually have twins, are not so huge that they are hard to handle. The big thing is in a bad situation they are easy to care for and raise. We have chickens so we have some meat. Of course the eggs, deer are plentiful as are squirrel. We are to concerned about the current political situation. Only time will tell.

Hey Phil. I don't consider myself to be a prepper. However, I do consider it wise to be able to feed myself and my family when the economy, either personal or national takes a down turn. I'm making slow progress towards that end with my poultry, and my gardens, and orchard, learning to preserve my produce, use a pressure canner, need more practice with a gun!

Last edited:
Hey Phil.  I don't consider myself to be a prepper.  However, I do consider it wise to be able to feed myself and my family when the economy, either personal or national takes a down turn.  I'm making slow progress towards that end with my poultry, and my gardens, and orchard, learning to preserve my produce, use a pressure canner, need more practice with a gun!
I think a lot of us could use more practice with a firearm....

Sad to see this thread is kinda dead. Prepping, homesteading, just being prepared for whatever mother nature throws at you, however you want to phrase it is kinda important. Been doing it for a very long time.

well am no prepper but any means, but i do like to watch survival videos in the case something ever does happen, am slowly learning how to hunt and trap. (i mean i can shoot ducks and all that but am not the best but i enjoy hunting) this year i plan on going big game hunting with my family (well dad and grandpa), i raise chickens and ducks. and slowly plan to start trapping.

Planted 8 fruit trees today.Still waiting for the shade berry plants for the berry/secret garden
Duarte Japanese Plum
Santa Rosa Japanese Plum
Sweet Cap Peach
J.H. Hale Peach
Red Gravenstein Apple
Newtown Pippen Apple
Gold Sweet Cherry
Sweetheart Dark Sweet Cherry

Back
Top Bottom