What is your most clever coop/run idea?

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Tomorrow we are starting the extention of the coop and run. I can't help but think thinks ... there's GOT to be a better way.

What is the best thing you ever did in your coop or run? Or wish you had done if you could do it over again?

Mine, I wish we hadn't put the roosts overtop the nesting boxes.
he.gif

However I am very glad we put those same roosts directly infront of the window (believe it or not that was not intentional)

Ran a pulley system so we could open the pop door without going into the run (great for those mornings when you're already dressed for work and don't want to go into the run). We also can access our next box without going into the run.

Per another BYC member's coop design (sorry, I can't find the link), we created grass gardens in the run, using landscape ties to contain the soil, a concrete block in the middle, and plastic netting over top, stapled to the landscape ties... they walk on the netting to get at the grass but can't scratch it and kill it. It's like a permanent chia pet for the chickens.

We found some cheap epoxy (elmers at OSJL for $3) and used it to coat the poop tray... the droppings just slide off!

I took a long term approach to the chicken thing. Some of my friends have them and kept on me about getting some,saying "your yard would be great for it". So it began! Me and my "all in" attitude went nuts. I figured well if I am going to build a coop I mind as well build it big but no so big that a permit was required. I built an 8x8 coop with a slant roof with the low end at 6ft and top 8ft is the thought that one day the chickens would be gone and could easily convert it into a shed. Like melschicks posted I've got a pulley system to open the pop door which makes it a real convenience in the morn and evening.No walking into the run to close the door. Borrowed the idea from a friends coop.

The one thing I would do different is not put the top rung of the perch so close to the wall,its about a foot away and poop lands on the wall. Thought about moving it but would have to relocate all of them. Great another project.

Quote:
I just read the other day about poop trays. Love the idea of epoxy. Do you think that would be beneficial in winter here in Canada?

Any other nifty ideas?
clap.gif

I'm going to use welded pig panel fencing to construct our pernament run. The idea will be to steak down the ends of the panels so they create a dome. I'm hoping since I won't need any wood to frame it, it will last longer. Plus also thinking in the winter or really wet months I'll be able to tarp it or put a heavy plastic over it fairly easily to give them relief from weather with out having to be cooped up all day. Since it is domed I'm hoping it won't collect a lot of snow. Eventually I'd like to put in some planter boxes along the outside and plant some grapes so the vines will grow over the dome shapped fencing and eventually basicly be an arbor of grapes. The chicks LOVE grapes and hopefully there will be enough left on the higher vines that they will leave me a few grapes too.

I like having windows or vents on all sides so that I can adjust the temp. no matter which way the wind is blowing, the raining is coming, the snow is falling. I love having a covered run. No worries, stays cool in the summer, dry in the winter.

I'd like to put sand on the poop board instead of just vinyl. That's my summer job. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my set up. I did what you're doing now, asked everyone lots of questions and combined what I found to work best for me.
My service area could be wider, but I wanted to give the chickens more room and had to work within the foot print or else pull a permit.

What have you been using for a poop tray? I'm visualizing something like a rain gutter except a foot wide? Mine would be about 4 feet off the ground and screwed to the wall ... unless there is a better way??

Back
Top Bottom