What items are must haves or a waste of money when buying for a new baby?

do a google search for patterns for many of the hand sewn items. you can download for free a boppy pattern for example, and walmart has a pattern for the infant covers that goes over shopping carts for under three bucks (I bought one and can use themed materials to give at baby showers). wait for sales and pick out materials, then make different sized blankets, crib sheets, burp rags,etc.learned to use small plastic inserts for bottles, even if expressing just minute portions of breastmilk to freeze. never had to use suplimental. bought a small hand ricer to take on the road or use the blender. even for first solid feedings, just added breast milk.

do a google search for patterns for many of the hand sewn items. you can download for free a boppy pattern for example, and walmart has a pattern for the infant covers that goes over shopping carts for under three bucks (I bought one and can use themed materials to give at baby showers). wait for sales and pick out materials, then make different sized blankets, crib sheets, burp rags,etc.learned to use small plastic inserts for bottles, even if expressing just minute portions of breastmilk to freeze. never had to use suplimental. bought a small hand ricer to take on the road or use the blender. even for first solid feedings, just added breast milk.

I'll have to check the store for the patterns. We do have a Jo Ann Fabrics around too that I could get stuff from. I'm not that great with sewing but I could probably pay the Amish that help my FIL sew it for me if I got the materials. Maybe she would even like to keep the design to make herself one or others to sell. They could use some extra money.

One thing I read about a while back was someone making a fabric bag and adding rice inside of it to heat up in the microwave to comfort a baby. My mom had one for her neck that she bought from the store when I was a teen and I always liked using it due to the warmth being comforting. I was wondering if anyone has made or used one of these for their baby? I know it would have to be tested to make sure it didn't have hot spots after being heated. I was thinking it might feel nice to the baby or even great for keeping the crib mattress warm while feeding till the baby is laid back down.

I got looking up the rice bags and people do use them to heat up the crib. They also can wrap a worn shirt around the bag to keep the mother's scent on it to help the baby stay asleep.

Maybe I'll have to make some. My husband might like one for his neck too. I did read about people using them for feet warmers in the bed. I got a great idea..... I could make them shaped like chickens.
roll.png
Might make a good multipurpose decoration.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the rock-n-play sleeper?

Is a 14"x11"x4" messenger bag big enough for a diaper bag? I seen one my husband and me both like and at only a $25 price range. I'm just not sure if it is big enough for going into a store or at a relatives house. I'll probably have extra items in the car incase we are in a hurry or forget to pack something.

Are there any bags similar to the Lassig brand messenger bag but with a cheaper price tag? I love the look and size (not to bulky especially with me being petite) of them but not the $80 price. I can't even find used ones online.

Back
Top Bottom