What jam/canning book should I buy?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by arabianequine, Jun 20, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I think I want a hard back and was looking into blue ball but there seems to be different versions. I only see soft back. I may go into a books store instead of looking on line.

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have the ball blue book its pretty good one, but my mom says the Kerr canning book is the best. She has an antique one but they still republish it.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have the "Ball Blue Book' but I have also heard that there is a "Canning and Preserving for Dummies" book that I am going to try and purchase because it seems there are more recipes in that one. Not sure if any of them come in hardback and if so they will probably be vintage ones that will cost big $$$

4. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have Preserving the Harvest that i bought from MMH when i bought chicks several years ago. It's one of my Most used and loved books. It has awesome canning recipes as well as freezing, dehydrating etc

5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I like the updated Ball canning book. Martha Stewart has some good recipes if you don't mind looking online.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    "The Ball Blue book" is great and I also love "They Joy of Jams, Jellies and other Sweet Preserves" and "Blue Ribbon Preserves".

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    "Ball Blue Book"

I also like "Keeping Up the Harvest" which is great for all around preserving

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by