What just eats head / neck?

pieville

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
Moorestown, NJ
I just lost my best girl to a predator. What kills but just eats the head & neck area? I suspect a raccoon but no other clues. The hawk net seems secure but I found one small area that might have been dug under the fence. šŸ˜¢
318A63E4-CFCC-44F2-8D64-1A9034E8B12D.jpeg

The easiest and fastest place to get the maximum fat from a chicken carcass is the neck. I have seen a raptor, a Red-Tailed hawk, attack a chicken and eat it just like that. A hawk will rapidly yank feathers out -- then consume the fatty neck REALLY fast - then leave the carcass behind if it's anywhere near human activity. Where are all the neck feathers? Were they scattered all around? (SORRY for that loss. It is very upsetting.)

Thanks everyone for feedback. The feathers were all around her. I never thought about the saliva thing. I have doubled up hawk net, as I lost 4 birds in a week one spring to a juvenile hawk. Thatā€™s why I was dubious about it being a raptor. Iā€™ve captured 4 raccoons in the past 6 months, so Iā€™m thinking raccoon. šŸ¤¬
I purchased & returned 2 trail cameras in 2020. One ended up taking specialized expensive batteries & one just didnā€™t work.

Back
Top Bottom