1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What keeps hens from wanting to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jimvone, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Jimvone

Jimvone New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    We where given a flock and thought we would be getting mainly hens well we found that we have 6 roosters and 7 hens. They are a mixed group of bantams and we have no idea how to encourage them to lay. We know they do lay the smaller eggs but at this point we have nothing, what should we do to encourage them to lay? We have had them for a week now and have not seen the first sign of egg laying activity.

2. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I would say rig up a light at night. Are they old enough to lay eggs? Some take longer than others. OOO that be a loto roos. Maybe the hens are overwhelmed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. pinkrblu

pinkrblu Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    How old are the chickens? And what breed? Each chicken is an individual and they don't all mature at the same rate. If they are free-ranged at all, and they were laying before you got them, you may have to do some detective work to discover where they are hiding there eggs.
    If they weren't laying yet, read some of the other threads here to learn the signs of a hen ready to lay.

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

That is WAAYYYYY too many roosters for 7 hens. You should rehome or eat 5 of them. You only need 1 roo for that number of hens. Too many roosters will cause serious over-mating of the hens. This will make them miserable and could even kill them. Stressed out hens will not lay as well.

5. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by