What killed my girls?

Pater est Pullis

Songster
Sep 2, 2017
South Carolina, Midlands
Mystery beast has gotten 3 of my Hens. Seems like one, every Thursday, for past 3 weeks.
20200214_080037.jpg
20200214_080053.jpg
20200214_080015.jpg

Had to have been a pretty big 'hole' to get body out of coop?
Coop doors were generally open, until second victim, last girl bought it because I got out there too late to close the doors.
Last year predator incursion, raccoons, were summarily dispatched and breach points fixed.
The coop and run are pre-existing, when we bought the property, I wouldn't have picked the fencing used, 2x4 holes, with bird netting over the run, but it works for large predators.
We're considering expanding the run with an electric fence.

I would imagine if it happened at night and was something of an owl it would have taken the body. I think it is something along the raccoon, weasel, domestic animal line. Let us know what you find!

Mystery beast has gotten 3 of my Hens. Seems like one, every Thursday, for past 3 weeks. View attachment 2027113View attachment 2027115View attachment 2027116
Coop doors were generally open, until second victim, last girl bought it because I got out there too late to close the doors.
Last year predator incursion, raccoons, were summarily dispatched and breach points fixed.
The coop and run are pre-existing, when we bought the property, I wouldn't have picked the fencing used, 2x4 holes, with bird netting over the run, but it works for large predators.
We're considering expanding the run with an electric fence.
Hens are helpless in the dark. Since the leg has been gnawed on and you have a 2x4 hole, I would vote a possum. Raccoons bite off the head. But a game camera is the best solution to figure it out.

Well, that answers that question.

with bird netting over the run, but it works for large predators.
Larger animals can get around netting(thin light plastic ...or ?) often not showing the gap they used for egress.

Hens are helpless in the dark. Since the leg has been gnawed on and you have a 2x4 hole, I would vote a possum. Raccoons bite off the head. But a game camera is the best solution to figure it out.
Might be a small possum, don't think an adult could get in. I've see raccoon kills, this is different, I'm really curious at what it could be.
Recent 3 deaths, figured first was an accident, body was wedged breast first under door ramp, head missing, but neck bones exposed, didn't look like a raccoon kill, thought there may have been chicken fight, and she got stuck, died, and the other chickens pecked the meat, shoulders up. There was no mess of feathers.
Second was one of our prized Cuckoo Marans, that was messy, feathers throughout coop and run, body much like the one pictured. Started locking up the coop after that, until I figure out what's doing it and eliminate the threat.

Back
Top Bottom