What killed my hens?

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I don’t know what it is with our house but all our chicken attacks happen during the day. Today, at around 5 o clock and in the complete daylight, something killed three of our hens and injured another. One hen was missing with only feathers left, the other was down in the woods, and the third was in the backyard, all death scenes fairly spread out. Does anyone have any clue what would kill my hens in the daylight, and leave two? Not only that, the chickens were fairly intact, and the two I found left seemed to have had their necks snapped and only a few small bleeding marks. It seems that broken necks were what killed them.

Even if you cannot give me information on what killed them, I do want to take a moment to tell you about my hen that died today. She was the family favorite, and her name was Pants. She was the sweetest, slowest, chunkiest, dumbest hen you’d ever meet, and she was the only hen I ever knew who loved to cuddle. She was most known for sprawling out in the mulch for dust baths. Im very grateful for the year and a half I was given with her, and I hope you all get to experience a hen as wonderful as she was.

Attachments

• 7C417604-78AF-4F76-92AB-48D477073255.png
    7C417604-78AF-4F76-92AB-48D477073255.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 33
  • E7187205-2790-456A-A864-98599F1FAFD9.png
    E7187205-2790-456A-A864-98599F1FAFD9.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 11
I'm so sorry for your loss, and RIP Pants.

There are a lot of animals that can do what you state. It generally takes a larger animal to actually remove a bird and carry it.

Raccoon generally attack, taking the head, but leaving the body. While often nocturnal, I have definitely seen the little beasts in broad daylight. I had one attacking the hens then.

Coyote will grab birds and haul them away. However, they are usually taking them to a den of hungry pups. They would take the whole carcass.

Hawks will hunt during the daytime. Usually they are too small to haul a bird away but will hit from a dive, killing in site, and then eating the head.

Those are my main predators. You may have others depending upon where you live. I'm sure others will offer some suggestions.

The biggest lesson of course is locking the birds up during the day until you do figure out what has been taking them. A web cam can come in handy for such times as this.

LofMc

Last edited:
My thought is dog also.
Some dogs like killing chickens, some some chickens ad fuzzy play toys and grab them, trying to play. Grabbing them kills them then dog drops (toy) and goes finds another toy. Consider cats-domestice, feral or bobcat.
Look for prints-see if you can find evidence of intruder, pawprints, scat, bent wire from entry.
Set up a camera.

Whatever it was will return. Get a game camera. Hopefully you'll get a pic of the offender. Meanwhile, keep the rest of your flock locked up in a predator proof coop and run.

Go on Amazon and pick one, lots a game camera choices. I personally use cell cams, but those are expensive compared to regular cams.

I don’t know what it is with our house but all our chicken attacks happen during the day. Today, at around 5 o clock and in the complete daylight, something killed three of our hens and injured another. One hen was missing with only feathers left, the other was down in the woods, and the third was in the backyard, all death scenes fairly spread out. Does anyone have any clue what would kill my hens in the daylight, and leave two? Not only that, the chickens were fairly intact, and the two I found left seemed to have had their necks snapped and only a few small bleeding marks. It seems that broken necks were what killed them.

Even if you cannot give me information on what killed them, I do want to take a moment to tell you about my hen that died today. She was the family favorite, and her name was Pants. She was the sweetest, slowest, chunkiest, dumbest hen you’d ever meet, and she was the only hen I ever knew who loved to cuddle. She was most known for sprawling out in the mulch for dust baths. Im very grateful for the year and a half I was given with her, and I hope you all get to experience a hen as wonderful as she was.
I have a farmer friend, and this time of year it could also be foxes training their cubs. He has lost twenty birds at a time. They don't take the birds, just kill them for practice. Horrible 😢

Back
Top Bottom