What Killed my Rooster?

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
IMG_0303.JPG

R.I.P. Rooster Rockabilly...
I saw him yesterday when I let out the chickens in the morning, but couldn't find him in the evening when I was giving the chickens and guineas treats. (I do this every evening and he's usually waiting by the coop every time.) The guineas and bantam rooster were looking for him yesterday, too. They were calling him and walking around the house... :(
I went looking for him today and found two piles of feathers farther away from the coop. No other birds are hurt, and it probably happened during the day. No blood or bones or carcass that I could see.

IMG_20210514_113923.jpg

IMG_20210514_113949.jpg

InkedIMG_20210514_114001_LI.jpg

Possibly.

Can you locate a stash spot in case he's been buried?
Maybe... I took her with me while I was looking. I also walked around in the high grass in case there was more evidence or that he was alive and injured, but found nothing. I have never seen her dig before, either.
She's a pretty big and sweet dog, but is very playful.

Attachments

• IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 5
I previously posted this on your other thread. So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you figured out who the predator is, and it will keep coming back until it gets all of your birds.
It could have been most any predator. I'm not trying to sound rude but since you free range that's the risk you take and you will loose some birds. Lessons learned the hard way. Now my birds all have nice large pens. I got tired of feeding the predators. Many predators will lurk looking for an opportunity and you will never see them. If you have a game camera put it up and you may discover what has been lurking and can make a plan to protect the rest of your birds. Good luck...

I previously posted this on your other thread. So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you figured out who the predator is, and it will keep coming back until it gets all of your birds.
It could have been most any predator. I'm not trying to sound rude but since you free range that's the risk you take and you will loose some birds. Lessons learned the hard way. Now my birds all have nice large pens. I got tired of feeding the predators. Many predators will lurk looking for an opportunity and you will never see them. If you have a game camera put it up and you may discover what has been lurking and can make a plan to protect the rest of your birds. Good luck...
We kind of knew that we would lose chickens if we free ranged them, but didn't expect it to happen during the day. The fox came and snatched a chicken this morning by the garage while the dogs were there! My dad saw it, that's how we know what it is. My dad bought a call and we're going to try and take care of it...
Thankfully, it only got my chicken pets, it didn't get my chicken friends. 😊

Back
Top Bottom