What kind are they and why are they not laying?

jerseygirl1

Crowing
13 Years
14 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Orange County, NY
I received two quail, from a friend, who told me they are male and female - however, she said they are about 10 months old and never laid an egg First, I'd like to know what they are so I can care for them properly (she said they were Vietnamese?) and second maybe find out why they are not laying
Thanks
34899_9609_005.jpg

Those Are Brown Coturnix Quail. They Can Be Sexed By Color. If They Have Never Laid Any Eggs I Suspect They Are Both Roos.... Look At The Sticky Post Here And Read Niki's Artical It Can Help You In Their Care And Even Sexing--- If You Can Post Clear Pix Showing The Front Of Each Bird We Can Also Help You Sex Them----

The one that we can see is a male (you can tell by the red coloring under his chin and on his face). We can't see the other one well enough to determine the sex. If the breast of the other one is solid colored with no spots, then you have 2 males. If one of them has a spotted breast (either rust or blond colored base feathers), then it is a female. It is possible they are eating the eggs, but I would think they are probably both males.

Last edited:
I am glad you posted this because I had just noticed in one of my pens that one of mine had a much darker face that the others and I was going to have to go get a picture and find out why.

Back
Top Bottom