1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind are they and why are they not laying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jerseygirl1, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I received two quail, from a friend, who told me they are male and female - however, she said they are about 10 months old and never laid an egg First, I'd like to know what they are so I can care for them properly (she said they were Vietnamese?) and second maybe find out why they are not laying
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Isablahblah

Isablahblah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    they are defintely coturnix quail!

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Those Are Brown Coturnix Quail. They Can Be Sexed By Color. If They Have Never Laid Any Eggs I Suspect They Are Both Roos.... Look At The Sticky Post Here And Read Niki's Artical It Can Help You In Their Care And Even Sexing--- If You Can Post Clear Pix Showing The Front Of Each Bird We Can Also Help You Sex Them----

4. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    Are you feeding them tomatoes from your garden? That makes them stop laying.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The one that we can see is a male (you can tell by the red coloring under his chin and on his face). We can't see the other one well enough to determine the sex. If the breast of the other one is solid colored with no spots, then you have 2 males. If one of them has a spotted breast (either rust or blond colored base feathers), then it is a female. It is possible they are eating the eggs, but I would think they are probably both males.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I am glad you posted this because I had just noticed in one of my pens that one of mine had a much darker face that the others and I was going to have to go get a picture and find out why.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks, they seem to be two males!! And the lady said she watched them doing the shag nasty!!!
    Oh,my

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by