What kind is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by superbouncyball, Mar 19, 2018.

1. superbouncyball

superbouncyball Chirping

Apr 5, 2014
    North East PA
    Got this one from am auction some time ago. She was raising 5 guinea chicks. She is definitely a broody hen. She is now sitting on 8 chicks we picked up.
    1. What breed is she?
    2. Is this breed known for being broody?
    3. Would like to breed her, any suggestingions on a breed of rooster to use?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    She is a Silkie mix
    Silkies are a broody breed
    It all depends on what you want.

3. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    She's so unique-looking! Yes, I'm assuming she's (possibly) a Buff Silkie Bantam x Mille Fleur d'Uccle Bantam. :love

4. superbouncyball

superbouncyball Chirping

Apr 5, 2014
    North East PA
    Ok Many thanks I was thinking she was a "mutt" She has been fighting with a "True silky" looking hen recently. But that is now over. I was considering trying a cage with the silky and another hen we have I suspect as being broody.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Classic Silkie cross, likely mixed with Cochin.

These are very well known for their broodiness.

Rooster selection depends on what your looking for in the chicks. For example... If your wanting good broodys, then breed to Silkie or Cochin bantams. If your wanting free range or barnyard bantams, then breed to Old English Games bantams. If your looking for weird, interesting, or unique offspring, then breed to Polish bantams, Sultans, or Turkin Bantams.

6. superbouncyball

superbouncyball Chirping

Apr 5, 2014
    North East PA
    Definitely looking for broody traits. She is making raising new chicks very easy. And she seems very happy to do it. And I'm 99% one of our Bantam roosters is a cochin, so we are good to go. many thanks again.

Better Than Rubies likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: