what kind is this? and did she lay this egg?

Dustin Biery said "No not all "cornish" crosses. But all cornish cross from the hatcheries are."

Whats the differents? aren't all chicken from hatcheries??

Is it kind of like a dog kennel compare to a dog breeder?

Dustin Biery said "If you were losing multiple in a single night, they were probably startled which could have cause them to stroke out/heart attack. I have found that playing a raido in their near proximity will keep them from being startled as easy."

Funny that you say that, There was an accident around that time when 4 died, I will have to do some thinking before I say for sure but I think it was that first night when I lost the 4 the rest were more laid back then normal the next day

I might have picked butchers some but I didn't have the time that day. Didn't really look in pain just wore out (you know) the next morning the remainder of the Cornish except for the one was gone.

WHAT a waste....

what is playing on the radio (just static) or a little blues?

thanks so much for your help.

I'm going to buy 4 more egg layer (I'M STICKING WITH EGG LAYER no cornish anyTHING) next year what are the easiest to keepgood for a smaller yard produce the best eggs (size and quantity) ALSO they have to be great all weather since we don't every know what the weather going to be like here..I think I would like some full breed ones. I like my red sex-link (until I try to said their name to my grammy)
something a little odder looking would be neat. I like odd. and where should I check into getting them?

THanks again I find this site helpful​

Quote:
Whats the differents? aren't all chicken from hatcheries??

Is it kind of like a dog kennel compare to a dog breeder?

Dustin Biery said "If you were losing multiple in a single night, they were probably startled which could have cause them to stroke out/heart attack. I have found that playing a raido in their near proximity will keep them from being startled as easy."

Funny that you say that, There was an accident around that time when 4 died, I will have to do some thinking before I say for sure but I think it was that first night when I lost the 4 the rest were more laid back then normal the next day

I might have picked butchers some but I didn't have the time that day. Didn't really look in pain just wore out (you know) the next morning the remainder of the Cornish except for the one was gone.

WHAT a waste....

what is playing on the radio (just static) or a little blues?

thanks so much for your help.

I'm going to buy 4 more egg layer (I'M STICKING WITH EGG LAYER no cornish anyTHING) next year what are the easiest to keepgood for a smaller yard produce the best eggs (size and quantity) ALSO they have to be great all weather since we don't every know what the weather going to be like here..I think I would like some full breed ones. I like my red sex-link (until I try to said their name to my grammy)
something a little odder looking would be neat. I like odd. and where should I check into getting them?

THanks again I find this site helpful​

Hatcheries do not always sell pure breeds, and many of the birds do not look anything like you would find from a breeder. Let's take the saipan junglefowl for example among other rare breeds. The saipons in my opinion look like Cornish instead but are a little bigger..

Hatcheries breed for quantity instead of quality, so if their birds aren't good layers. It's not unheard of they will cross in a new bird to make them good layers even if it does screw up the genetics.. Yet hatcheries still claim "Our birds are purebred, we do not guarantee show quality but guarantee they will represent the breed". Breeders on the other hand breed for quality, most real ones will focus on keeping it pure (though some do outcross if it is NEEDED).

Then you also got the Phoenix that use the onagadoris description (tails get up to 30 feet long) and then people get somewhat disappointed when they find out "Hey, Phoenix are descendants of the onagadori and only get tail lengths of about 3 feet, they lied".. But that's a completely different subject
big_smile.png

Well when I was talking about cornish crosses, I was meaning like you have the CornishRocks that are meat birds, then anyone that raises bantam cornish may cross them with a silkie (just an example) and this too is a cornish cross. I guess all birds do come from a hatchery per say, but not a commercial hatchery. As Daniel stated, commercial hatcheries are all about quantity. Anything playing on the radio is fine. I just wouldn't use static (that would drive me crazy in the barn).

Thanks again for the further explaining. I'm slow as you can tell.
tongue.png

like I said I'm completely new to this chicken stuff

I'm old to dogs so sorry if I keep use them to understand.

I used to breed Mini Schnauzer.
so for an example I will use them as to my understanding of hatchery

Schnauzer are Not suppose to come in white or tri colors.. (drives me crazy)
I've hear people breeding in poodles or English Toy Spaniel
anything for the color and claiming they are pure breed. to people who don't understand this is not a normal color.

they may carry some of the traits but aahh

puppy mill do it allot.

People want extreme layers so they cross some thing to get it...???
as sell it to us unknowing people

I thought "Cornish rock" one breed same as "red sex-link" I late found out that the red sex-link and my barren rock are mixed? I thought that they were one breed. I assuming they all are mixed at this point

so how do I know what I'm getting??? Being one of those clueless people?

Quote:
Does Oklahoma state have a website with this information, I'd love to see what they're basing their recommendations on.

Quote:
You're right, they're not and no it's not my decision. That's why I said I "disagree" thus implying MY OPINION. And in my original post if I remember correctly clearly stated first off that it was MY OPINION that it is cruel.

As for the heart attack, have you ever had one? Witnessed someone having one? In RARE cases little pain is involved. In most it's incredibly painful. Even a cardiac episode not classified as a heart attack is painful.

Quote:
I was giving an example of the reason they should not be raised to that age in the way the OP had described. I'm not arguing with you, I'm pointing out that we're saying the same things with different words. You're giving the straight "fact" I'm giving the "why" for that fact. You're saying they shouldn't make it to that age I'm saying... they shouldn't make it to that because.... the oviduct plus of course other issues.

Quote:
Eh. I both agree with you and disagree with you here. No you can't expect them to grow properly 100% like another breed would, you're correct. But there are techniques to raising them that have had limited success in bringing them along to an older age without the vast problems seen in the more conventional way of raising them. I go back and forth on this one myself. Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to go about it. BUT if someone really wants to try, if they at least make an EFFORT for the birds I'm more likely to forgive any bad forthcomings.

Again, I really didn't mean to argue with you. With disagree on a few details but I really think over all we're saying basically the same thing in different words. These birds aren't made to be pets and be raised into and past adolescence.

Quote:
Please understand I was not intending to "attack" you only to really get you thinking about why the experience came about as it did. Everyone makes mistakes, but if you don't think through your mistakes why you did what you did, etc. They can't be rectified in the future.

The thing is you can't wait for the meaties to look miserable to butcher because by that time they're already suffering. If it helps think of it this way, you're ending their lives when they still have some dignity left. Since you're well experienced with dogs think of a very old dog. One that can't eat, has such bad arthritis and hip problems he can't get up, he can't go out to use the restroom and frequently wets on his own bed. His owners could have put him down when he started showing much pain from the arthritis that couldn't be managed and when he started to show there was no way to keep weight on. He would have died happy and with a lot of dignity. A good old dog that had lived out many great days with his family. But by taking it to the point where he's miserable and wetting on the bed where he has to sleep? That doesn't make any sense does it?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom