What Kind Of Ameraucana Are These?

Just to give an idea of how varried and beautiful Easter Eggers can be here is a picture of our old EE flock.

They will always be the chicken that made me love chickens.

And yes they are running towards me...as they always did when they saw me because I AM the treat lady!

chickenpictures0252.jpg

After weeding through my Ameraucana's in an effort to have the correct color leggs. I found out that my birds are all Easter Eggers and furthermore, I learned that I do not know a Rooster until it crows....so many hens have changed into Roosters

Now for the pics....
Coupe4-Ameraucanas_110108A.jpg

Standard-AmericanaFlock_101508_08.jpg

Standard-AmericanaFlock_101508_06.jpg

So for 2009, I will try for Araucana, from a breeder and Ameraucana, from a breeder. And then I still have the Easter Eggers. When they start to lay, I will post their eggs on my page. Refering to my member page, showing as coupe 4.

Quote:
We recently added 4 point of lay hens to our flock, and to our horror, three of them were also de-beaked. It looked like a pretty amateurish job also; no two were alike. One was just slight, and this bird is doing great. The one that had the intermediately trimmed beak is doing fine, but her bottom beak broke, first as a fork (V-cleft up the middle), and then broke down to where it is almost even with her top beak. So she can scratch around pretty normally and doesn't seem hindered by her trimming. The hen with the most extreme beak trimming (Henny Penny) had a hard time feeding when we got her. She had other issues as well, mites and possibly worms, and would fall asleep anytime, anywhere. We isolated her from the quarantine to get a handle on her issues. Funny--Penny's trimmed beak made it easy to give her meds & vitamins & oatmeal when she wouldn't eat; just drip a bit into her protruding under-bite of a lower beak, and it went right in.

They have all since been introduced to the flock after ~5 weeks of quarantine, but poor Penny's trimmed beak still doesn't allow her to scratch or forage well, and she is at the bottom of the pecking order. I had to get a deep dish feeder to make it easier for her, and I throw her scratch in a pile after I spread it around for everyone else. I almost want her lower beak to chip off like the other one's did so they'll at least be even. Her un-trimmed companion has fared the best, and is pretty much assimilated into the older flock and has no problems to speak of.

Over the course of giving her special care, poor Henny Penny became one of my favorites. I'll try to grab some pix of her beak later. I'm still watching her closely to make sure she gets her share of feed & scratch. Trimmed beaks make me really sad.

Last edited:
Aw, I got one too. She's a BO, my first chicken. She came debeaked. She had trouble pecking the ground , but learned how. She even gets grass now. I have the feed and water bowls deep for her, and she's real fat and lays a huge egg every day. She has a very happy life. And I will never tell her that she's "different".

I am glad that I am not the only one who finds the practice of debeaking chickens barbaric. It really makes me sad too!

Ours also looked like theirs were done by an amateur or at the very least by someone whose G-A-S level was reeeeeal low.

Seminolewind, I have taken to calling mine the snub-nosed society girls.
wink.png
It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to know that I am giving these pullets a good life now.

Fractalfarmer, a couple of ours had the same sort of butcher job done on their beaks where the top is shorter than the bottom. Not surprisingly they are the smallest of the group. I, too, make them oatmeal and feed them treats on the sly. They seem healthy enough, they just aren't able to compete for food and are definitely the lowest in the pecking order.

It sounds like your Henny Penny's beak is very extreme. I would like to see a picture if you could find time to post one. You are a good chicken mommy. I hope Henny Penny continues to do well.

Deb

Quote:
Deb, it gives me great satisfaction, too, knowing that she is having a real good life. I remember the first day she caught a bug, the others ran after her, and I blocked them so she could eat her prize in peace.

Back
Top Bottom