What kind of Ameraucana do I have?

This is exactly the point I am attempting to make with OPs birds. By the same standards that Tilly is putting up, your bird would be considered an EE. But I certainly believe it is a purebred Ameraucana (Tilly doesn't šŸ˜‰)

The APA doesn't mention anything here. This is a lady writing an article.

Yep, none of the birds in question are lavender here šŸ˜‰ you will have to search for a VERY long time, like eternity, before you find slate/blue legs put out as standard on an official doc by APA - because it doesn't exist.

Save some time and call Mcmurray. They will further assist you.

Oh no. Not an argument at all. If you looks around in the forums a bit, you'll get ameraucana folks dead set on labeling everything an Easter Egger.
With your birds, you may not be able to show them, but they are what they say they are šŸ˜‰ this includes having incredible temperaments, are hardy winter layers, and lay a beautiful blue egg. I have about a dozen McMurray genetic Ameraucana birds here and I love them, they are some of my favorite.

Enjoy them!
You prolly are one that breeds easter eggers and sells them as pure ameraucanas....as mcmurray doesnt sell true ameraucanas at all they are mutts nothing more nothing less

Even though large fowl splash Ameraucanas arenā€™t APA recognized by their feather plumage, they are still a true Ameraucana in every other way. Other varieties that arenā€™t APA recognized but still true are Isabel, mottled, and other project varieties. They match the APA standard in every way besides plumage, which they are also working on accepting splash anyways because they come from the already accepted blue/black Ameraucanas.

I would agree that Splash Ameraucanas can indeed be Ameracaunas. Having the splash color does not automatically make the bird an Easter Egger. But of course having splash coloration does not automatically make the bird an Ameraucana either (Splash Cochins exist too, and Splash Andalusians, and Splash Easter Eggers, and so on.)

For the specific bird OP is asking about, I would call it an Easter Egger (because of the yellow skin, and also because of what is known about the flock it came from: in addition to mixed feather colors, there is yellow skin, and some birds are beardless-- so they are clearly not breeding true for several important Ameraucana traits.)

You prolly are one that breeds easter eggers and sells them as pure ameraucanas....as mcmurray doesnt sell true ameraucanas at all they are mutts nothing more nothing less

I think this person is just new to chickens, learning fast but not all the way there yet. (For example, they have been saying the APA doesn't state a skin color for Ameraucanas, when I know it states a skin color as part of the description for every recognized breed. The APA just does not put that information anywhere easy to find online, which is a source of constant frustration to me too. I don't have easy access to a printed copy of their Standard of Perfection.)

Last edited:
I would agree that Splash Ameraucanas can indeed be Ameracaunas. Having the splash color does not automatically make the bird an Easter Egger. But of course having splash coloration does not automatically make the bird an Ameraucana either (Splash Cochins exist too, and Splash Andalusians, and Splash Easter Eggers, and so on.)

For the specific bird OP is asking about, I would call it an Easter Egger (because of the yellow skin, and also because of what is known about the flock it came from (in addition to mixed feather colors, there is yellow skin, and some birds are beardless-- so they are clearly not breeding true for several important Ameraucana traits.)

I think this person is just new to chickens, learning fast but not all the way there yet. (For example, they have been saying the APA doesn't state a skin color for Ameraucanas, when I know it states a skin color as part of the description for every recognized breed. The APA just does not put that information anywhere easy to find online, which is a source of constant frustration to me too. I don't have easy access to a printed copy of their Standard of Perfection.)
Hey @NatJ

After our last thread where you convinced me that splash was in fact an ameraucana, I corresponded with APA regarding the standards of perfection, and also with some of the larger hatcheries selling what I thought to be EE's previously. Although the process of gettin an answer was difficult, here is what I found.

For the SOP, there is no skin color requirement, with the exception of a white skin disqualifier.

Mcmurray is arguably the largest Hatchery in the US - certainly has a lot of history. They proudly advertiser their ameraucana as such, while listing green legs. I have a theory as to the APA's SOP for Ameraucana, and how Mcmurrays breeding stock has influenced that.

The self-blue SOP does include slate legs, as it was added in 2020 and was a clean slate essentially.

Anyway, I'll leave it at this and as always, i appreciate your input. I have probably learned more here and been inspired more by you regarding genetics than any other šŸ‘. Thank you.

This is exactly the point I am attempting to make with OPs birds. By the same standards that Tilly is putting up, your bird would be considered an EE. But I certainly believe it is a purebred Ameraucana (Tilly doesn't šŸ˜‰)
Not the point I was trying to makeā€¦ project ameraucana varieties are ameraucanas that have every single physical characteristic of a true Ameraucana except the plumage color. Lavender Ameraucanas were once a project variety that the APA accepted not too long ago. McMurray is not intentionally breeding new Ameraucanas that fit every single physical characteristic of a true Ameraucana including the beards/muffs, blue/slate shanks, pink skin, etc to add a new color to the accepted variants. These project varieties also breed true to all Ameraucana traits. People donā€™t just go around calling an Easter egger with yellow skin, modified pea comb, and green legs a project Ameraucanaā€¦

Yep, none of the birds in question are lavender here šŸ˜‰ you will have to search for a VERY long time, like eternity, before you find slate/blue legs put out as standard on an official doc by APA - because it doesn't exist.
The standard still fits for all Ameraucana colorsā€¦ we literally said that one is specifically about lavender but goes for all. Just because you have to search around doesnā€™t make it invalid.

I really have better things to do than argue about this. No one can stop you from believing Mc Murray ā€œAmeraucanasā€ are true Ameraucanasā€¦.

Back
Top Bottom