Relynn

Songster
Apr 29, 2017
We bought this bantam in the mixed bantam section at our local feed store, we got her cause we thought that it was a Silver Laced Polish bantam, however she is looking more like a cochin or a brahma bantam. The color is throwing me off. Comet is 6 weeks old, and I think that Comet is a she. But I could be wrong. She started out with really small weeks, and all her feathers have not come in yet. The comb is very small though, and I was hoping that that indicates female.
(Sorry Comet is below the RIR)...

IMG_4303.JPG

This is Pippy, Pippy is supposed to be a pullet and a RIR, but someone at the feed store told me that Pippy didn't look like an RIR. I am worried that Pippy is a he and not a she. Is Pippy a cockerel or a pullet?
IMG_4342.JPG

Comet my nieces bantam.

IMG_4341.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4307.JPG
IMG_4308.JPG

Last edited:
Comet is a Light Brahma... Brahmas have pea combs, Cochins have a single comb...

How old is Pippy?

Pippy is 7 weeks old. One of the ladies who saw the pictures said it didn't look like a RIR, but then I told her I bought it there... and she didn't know what to say lol.

Pippy is 7 weeks old. One of the ladies who saw the pictures said it didn't look like a RIR, but then I told her I bought it there... and she didn't know what to say lol.

Looks like a Production Red... hatchery stock RIR is generally PR's... true RIR's are only found in dedicated breeder heritage flocks... true RIR should be deep red/mahogany colored and shaped like a brick...

At 7 weeks and combel pinkening and pink wattles coming in, my guess is cockerel, sorry...

Looks like a Production Red... hatchery stock RIR is generally PR's... true RIR's are only found in dedicated breeder heritage flocks... true RIR should be deep red/mahogany colored and shaped like a brick...

At 7 weeks and combel pinkening and pink wattles coming in, my guess is cockerel, sorry...

Thank you for the information, I was thinking rooster too, so no a shock lol.

Pippy looks like a New Hampshire, but she could be a Production Red. I can't see the birds sides, but if there is white feathering then it is a red sex-link, also known as a red star.

I wouldn't write Pippy off as a boy. I do not find that comb positively masculine, nor that bird stocky enough to say that it is a rooster. With any of the red fowl I have worked with, they are geneally noticably cockerels at that age.

Pippy looks like a New Hampshire, but she could be a Production Red. I can't see the birds sides, but if there is white feathering then it is a red sex-link, also known as a red star.

I wouldn't write Pippy off as a boy. I do not find that comb positively masculine, nor that bird stocky enough to say that it is a rooster. With any of the red fowl I have worked with, they are geneally noticably cockerels at that age.

Omg the pictures that were attached were of my golden sex-link... lol they are very similar in color... not sure how I attached the wrong ones... ugh. I added the right ones sorry again.

haha well, that makes sense! The new pictures you added are definitely of a production red rooster.

I am sure my husband won't mind... he said I have too many... So I will see if I can find him a good home :D , if not I will take him to the local bird farm where I heard they find them homes.

Back
Top Bottom