What Kind of Bedding to Use?

glewis121

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
We are using pine shavings for our chickens and quail. They are in the same coop but different cages. We started to notice that the shavings look very damp. They were fresh a couple of days ago. My family and I have been doing a lot of reading about alternative bedding. We were reading about hay and straw. Would love some feed back on bedding that everyone else uses and which bedding is the best for quail and chickens!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Also my quails started hatching today from the incubator! 5 have already hatched!

I have used grass clippings for mine since day 1 when they arrived as chicks, which was first week of June. Will never change because they work very well and because they are free.
big_smile.png

I put a 50 gal drum of dried grass away for the winter, piled up in my workshop/garage, in case I have to add during winter. Have not had to yet. I do use poop planks and scrape them clean daily and put on garden. I expect my grass litter to last one year before changing/cleaning.
big_smile.png
And, did I say they are FREE ?
lol.png

I use very deep straw...
A friend put hay in hers this last summer and shortly thereafter had this huge infestation of mice move in.
The guy at the farmer's co-op said it was because she used hay instead of straw.
Don't know how valid that is but...
She took out the hay, got rid of the mice and swiched to straw and the mice didn't come back.

I use hay because it is $6.25 a bale and they seem to like it. I change it once a week and keep it clean. It helps keep the coop clean. It smells nice too.

When it has been colder - 34 degrees this AM in Florida - I know Balmy to some of you in the Frozen north and mid west and now California - I used more so they had some more insulation. They really seem to like it very much!

Caroline
Jax FL

I would like to know what stall dry is, I use saw dust in all my houses and because we've had so much moisture this year I am noticing dampness in the bedding which I don't like when it's so cold. So would like to find something to mix with the saw dust. Even adding the de hasn't been helping.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom