WHAT KIND OF BIRD IS THIS?!

Chicken37

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Near Austin TX
I was walking in my yard after a big storm and found this little guy just sitting there on a rock, u knew that it was best not to touch him but my cat was walking towards us so I picked him up and set him on a heating pad inside. He fell asleep while I was looking on Google for birds that looked like him but I couldn’t find anything. He looks unharmed, he can sorta walk, he can open his eyes, every 15 min or so he chirps, and when I make a certain sound he opens his mouth so I can feed him. I made his a fake nest with stuff outside and I’ve just been sitting here watching as he sleeps and eats. I have no idea what I’m doing but I looked everywhere for his nest and I can’t find it. Does anyone know what he is? I feel like that’s the first step.
image.jpg
View attachment 3527458

I would place the baby bird back where you found it, so the parents can find it to feed it. Don’t try to take care of baby birds yourself. Distract your cat or place the bird over the fence. Many baby birds are lost to animals or they have fallen or been kicked out of nests for various reasons, but nature works well, so that many have a chance.

I’ve been feeding this guy for abt and hour. I found him on the ground after a flood and couldn’t find his nest so I made him a fake one with feathers and grass type thing and he’s been rotating between sleeping and eating for a bit now. He can walk and open his eyes and abt every 10 minutes he chirps. I have no idea where his nest is, who his parents are, how old he is, or what kind of bird I’m fostering. Pls help
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve been feeding this guy for abt and hour. I found him on the ground after a flood and couldn’t find his nest so I made him a fake one with feathers and grass type thing and he’s been rotating between sleeping and eating for a bit now. He can walk and open his eyes and abt every 10 minutes he chirps. I have no idea where his nest is, who his parents are, how old he is, or what kind of bird I’m fostering. Pls helpView attachment 3527470View attachment 3527473View attachment 3527470
Oh it’s so cute! @fluffycrow @azygous can you help? And what are you feeding it?

I made his a fake nest with stuff outside and I’ve just been sitting here watching as he sleeps and eats.
Eats what.. without identifying species first? Seeds, bugs, grains?

I thought maybe starling.. but their mouth is yellow inside best I can tell and this one looks white.

Swallow (at least some) have white mouths (maybe just the lip part).

Some things may be ruled out by beak shape. Which can also point to what kinda things they eat. I will note that even humming birds feed their young flies and they catch.. I was surprised the first time I saw them clearing my back patio.

As eggcessive described.. I was able to save some Cedar Waxwing fledglings from my dogs.. by putting them back where I found them. They were so elusive I had never seen the parents before.. but once I identified the chicks.. and familiarized myself with their mature sound.. I could here the parents calling.

Consider contacting a wildlife rehab near your location.. see if they can help identify or rehab.. I used to volunteer at one.. and the number of rescues brought in the high wind season were many.

Also searching what's native to your specific area is helpful..

https://travisaudubon.org/tx-backyard-birds-galleries

https://www.birdwatchingacademy.com/backyard-birds-of-texas/
1685802660981.png

ETA: I contained my own animals why waiting to see what happened.

Last edited:
I can't help with ID but have both raised domestic varieties of altricial baby birds (zebra finches and parrots) by hand and have also temporarily cared for orphaned baby birds before turning them over to professional rehabbers (robins, a couple unknowns, and a crow). Search for wildlife rehabbers in your area right now and call them; it's a weekend so they may not be available but try anyway. Not sure about how things are with the HPAI situation but at least in the past rehabbers I contacted would readily take orphaned native birds to raise up and re-release.

If there is no nest intact and no parent birds obviously hanging around the site, putting a baby bird back outside will basically just feed it to something when you're not watching (snakes, other birds, even ants). IME parent birds are very likely to ditch offspring that aren't in the nest or at least in/near the right location and it sounds like there is no way to determine what that location was in this case. So, a baby bird out of the nest is typically going to be a dead one if it isn't old enough to hop about and start flying in a day or two, which this one clearly isn't.

Pet stores that sell supplies for finches and parakeets may have baby bird formula. That can work for wild birds too. In a pinch you could even mix some chick starter with a lot of water until it's a watery paste and feed by small plastic pipette/syringe (but the baby bird formula is better long term). If you have a dropper or small syringe, you can offer it a few drops of water that way too if you don't have food immediately on hand.

Looks like a sparrow.
Unfortunately, my sons brought me one about that age one time and I didn't want to chuck it to the cats to eat because they wanted me to save the little rat with wings.
I wet dog food until it was puree consistency and fed it with a syringe without the needle.
They have to be fed every hour on the hour. Except for just a few hours at night. This is no fun.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom