What kind of birds are your backyard feeders?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DonnaBelle, Dec 29, 2009.

1. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Hi all,

Today, after the blizzard Christmas Eve and much snow on the ground, I have:

Cardinals, doves, finches, blue jays and chickadees.

For food I have: Scratch in a squirrel feeder, BOSS in the bird feeder, and homemade suet cake in the suet feeder.

A little something for everyone.

We're supposed to get a little more snow tonight.

Of course, the chickens are getting pumpkin oatmeal for lunch today.

DonnaBelle

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have some cardinals, lots of sparrows and finches, a few jays.
    The other day I was trying to identify the call of one bird, very unusual and kinda worried me because it was close to the chicken coop. Turns out it's a juvenile woodpecker, which makes sense. We have always had a pair of them and I think this one is the offspring.
    I enjoy hummingbird season the most.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    We have all those plus nuthatches, lots of woodpeckers, and juncos. I have been waiting for the tufted titmouses and grosbeaks to show, but they haven't yet.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Winter: cardinals, chickadees, downy woodpeckers, flickers, blue jays, mourning doves, juncos, tufted titmice, nuthatches

Summer: All of the above plus goldfinches, ruby throated hummingbirds, robins, rose-breasted grosbeaks, sparrows

Non songbirds: some kind of large owl that isn't a great-horned owl, bald eagles, red tailed hawks, goshawks, peregrine falcons, osprey, kingfishers, great blue herons, greenback herons, occasional wood ducks and mallards, crows and saw a raven once (on Halloween no less!), ruffed grouse and occasional turkeys

We have a large, clean spring-fed pond on our property that has goldfish, perch and a sauger in it, hence the abdundance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    California quail, rufous-sided towhees, chestnut-backed chickadees, dark-eyed juncos, house and rosey finches, stellar jays, white-crowned and golden-crowned sparrows, ruby crowned kinglets, crows, ravens, robins (they winter here), band-tailed pigeons, mourning doves, nuthatches, Allen's and Ana's hummers, and I'll add when I think of more!
    Thought of some - flickers, downy woodpeckers, song sparrows, goldfinches, rosey grossbeaks...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    this time of year I usually have 2 pairs of nuthatches and 2 or 3 pairs of downy woodpeckers but so far Ive only seen one nuthatch. The canadian geese have finally gone from the pond down the road, boy they were late this year.

7. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Thanks guys for all the responses!! I do love birds, and thanks for those pictures from Northern Michigan. I got to vacation in Charlivoix and went to Macinaw Island. That is one of the most beautiful places. And the lakes, they have water like the Carribean. And beautiful flowers.

I loved Michigan!!!!!

DonnaBelle, in Oklahoma (nice cows and lots of Indians)

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We have two feeding stations in our back yard plus suet feeders hanging in the edge of our woods about 75 feet from the stations. We have a mixture of feeders and have the following in them:

BOSS
    Deluxe Blend
    Winter Blend
    Safflower
    Niger Seeds
    Whole in-shell peanuts
    Suet (variety)
    Bark Butter from Wild Birds Unlimited

We have a nice mixture of birds. In fact while eating breakfast I watched:

Blue Jays
    Cardinal
    Black Capped Chickadee
    American Tree Sparrow
    Goldfinch
    Junco
    Red Bellied Woodpecker
    Hairy Woodpecker
    House Finch
    Mourning Dove
    Bluebird

Here are photos of our two stations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Our water is a LOT colder than Caribbean waters. Mackinac Island is one of my favorite places too

We put out regular birdseed with extra BOSS in it on the stump and in a birdfeeder by the house, a hummingbird feeder near that (plus the flowers in the garden), suet cake feeder near the front door. A lot of chickadees and blue jays are raiding the chicken run for missed scratch now. We also put out stale bread and baked goods too. The blue jays LOVE my banana bread

Does anyone feed safflower seed? I've heard squirrels don't like it but birds do

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Right now we have blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, white winged dove, mourning dove, downy wood peckers, red bellied wood peckers, Carolina wrens (they eat the suet), a mockingbird (apples), red winged blackbirds, finches.......and a red tailed hawk and sharp shinned hawk that pick off the sparrows and doves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by