What kind of bugs are these?

Suejordn

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
Hi all!!! I found these bugs a couple months back on the floor of my chicken run and on the outside of my chicken house. Just a few like 5 to 10. I sprayed with some oil solution and they seem to be gone. Until I was cleaning out the chicken house again a couple days ago. Again just a couple on the floor of the chicken coop and on the outside of the house. Also these winded bugs are always with them. I don’t know if it’s related or not. I don’t think they’re red chicken mites? I always find them during the day. And never have found anything under the roasts at night. They aren’t on my chickens either. At least not that I can find. I would really like to know what they are though. I treated the coop with the oil solution again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• C74834A3-FD43-4C81-93A1-7CFBD906B89C.jpeg
    C74834A3-FD43-4C81-93A1-7CFBD906B89C.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 20
  • AB49C144-76FF-4123-AD3D-AE91E1E85BCB.jpeg
    AB49C144-76FF-4123-AD3D-AE91E1E85BCB.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 7A23134D-2404-472A-9E61-15CF891AD476.jpeg
    7A23134D-2404-472A-9E61-15CF891AD476.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 16
Either way, I feel confident that permethrin will take care of whatever it is.

I'm on the other side of the country, in North Carolina. I've had the clover mites and they seem to be more prevelant whenever it's wet outside
I see, thank you. Yes it’s definitely wet weather here in Northern California. Especially this time of year

I was under the impression that those were either Southern Red Mites, Clover Mites, or Spruce Spider Mites. Where are you located?
I’m in eureka California. They Don’t quite look like any of the mites I’ve seen pictures of. Maybe clover mites or spider mites from what I’m seeing on Google? I don’t know if this helps but a couple months back I first spotted them in the soil next to my chicken coop. Then I started finding a couple on the floor of my coop. After I dusted with poultry dust and sprayed with oil solution couldn’t find any for months. Now they are back

Look like mites. Get yourself some (Permethrin 10 livestock and premise spray.) little expensive, but lasts a long time. treat the coop, the stalls, perches, and your birds with it. Good luck.
OK, I had Permethrin powder not the spray. I powdered the floor of my coop and the pull out drawer. And also the walls in the nesting boxes. I also sprayed the outside of the coop with the oil solution. It seems like I would’ve noticed the chickens scratching or preening themselves more. But they aren’t at all just occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom