What kind of cat is a "good mouser"

We feed our mousers very well. None of them are even slightly hungry! I think a cat hunts just to hunt. They have never messed with our chickies or ducks. They will go into the chicken yard to sleep and sun on the coop!! Drives the chickens nuts! They want to know how to get up there!

We used to have a Manx she was a great eater but she ate everything she could get her paws on mice, lizards birds, frogs, snakes, moles, and she would have probly liked chickens but she got hit by a car.
hit.gif

Hi. I couldn't read through all the posts so please forgive if this has already been said, but why not use a mouse repellent? If you are not a cat person (cats will need care, feeding, vets etc. - and the cat will KNOW that you are not a cat person! ) try "Mouse Magic" by Bonide or cotton balls dipped in peppermint oil. Both are nontoxic mouse repellents and used in your house will be pleasant scents.

JJ

we have two cats, one who will kill anything that moves, and another who couldnt care less. the killer is just a tabby we got from the pound. i *heart* her.

With the ferals I have around here, haven't had a problem with them touching the birds or even the chicks. They stay in the vicinity of the house because they know that food comes with the large animals that go to and fro from the front door. Can't touch them even if you wanted but some how they've all known so far that animals I touch are off limits for kills. However, not all cats will behave and cats have been known to kill chicks. Every experience will be different.

Maybe you can find something like this or this in your area.

I don't know about your area, but here in the NYC area, no cat rescues will adopt if you are looking for an outdoor "mouser"...now maybe that's because of our dense population, but be careful if you go to a rescue.

ALSO having worked at one of the biggest shelters in the country, Maine Coons have a reputation for being one of the worst litter box users, so many of them are in shelters in our area. I don't think that you'd even need a purebred anything, though.

I agree with all of those people who said a feral cat or barn cat who has lived on a farm should give you the best results. YES, YES, YES spay or neuter and make sure you, at the very least, give rabies shots.

I have a regular domestic shorthair who was a feral cat and he chases all of the critters. We feed him (which keeps him at our house) and he still brings us presents almost every day...mice, rats, moles, baby bluebirds....and I have threatened him every time he even LOOKS at a chicken, duck or goose.

Try advertising on Craig's List for a Mouser and see what you get.

Good luck!

I have always known females to be the best mousers. We have a larger grey female that looks to be part mancoon and she is the best mouser I have ever seen. She caught all that I can remember in no time flat.

Back
Top Bottom