What kind of chick is this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by higghue8, Apr 6, 2016.

1. higghue8

higghue8 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Hello all!
    I am new to this thread and fairly new to raising chickens. About a month ago I chose an adorable chick from my local feed store. She was in a cage labeled "assorted bantams." Of course, she could be a cockerel and not a pullet. Her name is Ethel, and if "she" turns out to be a "he" i still love "her." Anyway, she's about 5 or 6 weeks old and tiny. She has a crest and very pale legs, almost kind of a purple color. At first I thought she could be a red crested red polish but I am pretty convinced she's a mixed breed at this point. Again, the only thing the people at the feed store told me was that she was a bantam, they didn't know the breed and they didn't know the gender. I purchased Ethel along with another chick, Henrietta, who could also be male. In which case I would rename them Ethan and Henry. Pretty sure Henrietta is a sultan, but still unsure about the gender. Any help identifying the breed/combination of breeds is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much! LOVE being a chicken mom and have stalked this site so much it was about time i joined. Ethel is on the left, Henrietta on the right. Thinking Henrietta is a sultan but definitely need help identifying Ethel's breed. Thanks again for your input![​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    They surely can be mixes, but sultans for sure. One has more furry legs than the other. ( I refer to it as fur, but I know its fluffy feathers). They look very cute.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. butterfliesdoku

butterfliesdoku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Ethel is not a Sultan or a Sultan mix as she is lacking the 5 toes and feathered feet. She could be a polish or polish mix. Henrietta is definitely a Sultan. Lucky you!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by