what kind of chick is this?

theuglyduckling

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
puerto rico
yesterday i went to the feed store and bought 26 of them. i asked for pullets and they said these were pullets. i think they may be sex link chicks but im not positive. here are some pictures:

They could be red/buff and black sex links, but there is really no way to know for sure just from looking at the chicks. Did they give you any other information about them or have any sort of labels on the bins? Did they have other color chicks mixed in with them?

They could be red/buff and black sex links, but there is really no way to know for sure just from looking at the chicks. Did they give you any other information about them or have any sort of labels on the bins? Did they have other color chicks mixed in with them?
okay when you say red/buff do you mean red/buff sex link or a different kind of red/buff chicken. in the other bins that the guy said werent pullets the blacks had white spots on their heads and the yellow ones were really yellow. no they had no labels and the guy talked only spanish because i live in pr but i do not know spanish i went with my fiance but he didnt understand the name the guy told him. all he understood is that they were a mixed breed, but i was wondering if maybe he was trying to say they were sex link?

Sorry, meant sex links in both cases... It does sound like they could both be female sex links ... the male red/buff sexlinks are a real yellow/white chick (wind up being a white rooster with some red) and the black sex link males should be black and have a white spot on their head (wind up being a barred rooster)

Last edited:

They may very well be sex link pullets - time will provide the answer.

I'm not sure, as they are so young and haven't fully developed feathers yet. As for me, getting pics when they're at least a month old would be best for identifying the breed.

so update on the chicks its been like a week or a little more and im thinking they are barred rocks. some of them are beginning to show the markings on there wing feathers that are coming in. the only thing im wondering is can barred rocks have yellow chicks? because the yellow ones well some of the yellow ones at least three are getting black markings on there wing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom