Please tell me this isn't a Cockerel

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
TSC told me this was a Blue Maran Pullet. It's probably about 4 weeks old. Should the comb be this large on a pullet? Im comparing to my other chicks around the same age but they're all different breeds so its apples to oranges. Also is the breed right? Between this chick and the one I posted about yesterday I don't know what the heck that store sold me...

Im including a photo of when she first came home too If that helps for sexing and/or breed identification.

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    765 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1394.jpeg
    IMG_1394.jpeg
    780.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    750.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 28
Not tscs fault... but it's a cockerel
This particular store was extremely disorganized. Pretty certain two of the birds I got aren't even the breed that was on the bin sign. they had so many different breeds mixed together. I wonder if they had pullets and straight run mixed too. It is what it is. Im new at this and have a lot to learn.

This particular store was extremely disorganized. Pretty certain two of the birds I got aren't even the breed that was on the bin sign. they had so many different breeds mixed together. I wonder if they had pullets and straight run mixed too. It is what it is. Im new at this and have a lot to learn.
That is normal. The hatchery, usually hoovers, sends chicks in mis labeled boxes with the wrong labels for the bins, sometimes the chicks jump into other bins. Chicks are not easy.

I have 3 blue copper marans (pullets?) that are 4 1/2 weeks old. None of them have a comb that big nor with that much color. They also have feathered legs. I bet he'll be a pretty boy!

I ordered 6 silver spangled Spitzhauben from a local store and ended up getting wheaten game birds. They order from cackle hatchery. I had to contact cackle hatchery for help with identification and even they had to get the people that were more familiar with bantam Id to help me but they were awesome. But here I have a flock with med to large breeds and now I have these bantam… sweet as pie but a few of my ladies are having to be put in their place and I have to keep a close eye on my littles. Just not what I was expecting as a first time Chicken momma.

Back
Top Bottom