What kind of chicken for a newbie?

bigtime400

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Beloit
I can't decide what kind of chicken eggs I want to get....... I guess I want it all.... One thats good with kids around. Good egg layer. quiet. Friendly. Any sugestions? What are most people using out there? For WI.

Good Egg layer, not too flighty.... BLACK SEX LINK!

They are egg laying machines.

I have an EE that is the daughter of a BSL and she's just like her mamma only she lays green eggs.

Very calm, quiet birds that put out.

Well lets narrow this down a bit for ya.
wink.png

There is this great breed....Rhode Island Red and another called Buff Orpington that is more docile and quiet for the most part but then there are White rocks that lay pretty good and I have had some that were very friendly.....Oh Yeah how about the Sex Links. Links always seem to attatch themselves to us moreso than some of the others. Of course don't rule out most of the bantams....Our bantams always gel with the kids faster it seems. Odd, but so are most of our chickens. Then there is always.................
Just funnin with ya. I hope you find a breed that you fall in love with. We like you, want them all cause CHICKENS ARE COOL.
cool.png

We have 1 RIR and everyone loves her, she follows us around and talks to us. You can reach down and pick her up. My pet chicken as a child was a RIR. Our EE are also great.

Just posted this for another person who asked this.
big_smile.png
Another note: my girls do make their special kinda squawk when laying.

I can't attest to their hardiness in the cold - I live in Hawai`i - but I can tell you that my 2 RSLs get through the heat, rain, and when it does get "chilly" here. big_smile One is quite friendly, the other more aloof, and they both come when called or when they hear my voice. They don't chase anyone down and they have also found their place in our household hierarchy (we have dogs and cats and kids). My aloof one is very territorial when it comes to outside animals - she has killed 2-3 rats and when we had 2 roosters venture in, she chased them both around the yard! D However she is tolerant of the grey doves that eat their feed and take shelter when it's sunny or rainy. When it comes to humans though, they are both skittish with strangers. They are great with my kids, they tolerate being chased and carried.

They lay large to extra-large light reddish brown eggs, 1 a day except when they're molting although I think my aloof one is taking a long break. wee

Whats RSL ? something sex link???? Why isnt Sex link in the breed section?

Why is there 2 Orpington listed in the breed section but I dont see a Buff? Are these good egg layers?

Also... What about the Barred Plymoth Rock? My wife thinks they are pretty.

why do some breeds have Bantams? What does that mean exactly? Are they good layers? Meat chickens?

What about Delaware or New Hampshire?

Can you go by the Temperment on the breed chart? It says the RIR are aggressive?

Some of the stuff seems contradicting.... I guess thats part of the problem with deciding.

Quote:
Yes, RSL is Red Sex Link. Sex Link isn't a breed, it's a hybrid mixture of two different breeds, producing chicks which can be sexed by the difference in color. The males are entirely a different color than the females.

Orpingtons are the breed, Buff is the color. They're pretty good layers. I love my Buff Orpington - she went broody last year and hatched my first GrandChick! She's gorgeous, with a big fluffy butt.

The Plymouth Rock - Barred, commonly called Barred Rocks, are excellent layers and I think they're very pretty. I love mine. Talkative, followed me around, very personable.

Bantams, for the most part, are bred down from larger fowl breeds, except for a few breeds which are ONLY found in the bantam size. (Silver Sebrights, Golden Sebrights, for example.) Often very good layers, but not so good as meat chickens because they're so much smaller.

Delaware is a GREAT breed of chicken! Friendly, great layers, pretty large birds.

I don't have any New Hampshires.

RIR can be aggressive. Mine is pushy. In multiples, RIRs can be quite bullying towards other chickens.

Every chicken, like every animal or person, is an individual. Contradictory information comes from those differences.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I just typed in "RSL" w/o thinking. The good thing is, you learn these things real quick b/c everyone here fills you in.
big_smile.png
My RSLs are reddish-brown girls. The roosters are white, I believe.

I had a Cornish X too (aka meat chicken) who was the sweetest thing ever. Was just like a puppy dog w/o the whining and barking. She followed me around and was just generally a happy bird. She laid beige eggs and grew to over 20-lbs. Loved her much!

All those mentioned are good.

Also, the Brahmas are quiet and friendly. They also do well in the cold. They have extra feathears to keep them warm.

Easter Eggers are good too.

Lots of fun just getting some of all kinds.

My barred rock actually sang a song like song bird when I held her.

Back
Top Bottom