What kind of chicken should I get?

lundygman

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
My Mom says I can get 4 chickens. We are going to be putting in our order this week. I want to get a Rhode Island Red and a White Leghorn. What other two chickens should I get? I want something that is friendly and easy to handle. I know about chickens from helping Mom with the ones we have now. Your help would be nice. Thanks

Is a constant supply of largish eggs an important part of the equation? If yes, my RI Red has turned out to have a great temperment & to be an amazing layer of giant size brown eggs. We're all crazy about her. On the other hand, I can't run up to her and pick her up like I can my Silkies and my Cochins. I have recently become a huge Cochin fan just because I've had such good luck with the 2 I have. They both are amazingly gentle, sweet, loveable cuties. I have 5 separate pens of silkies (by color) and they're probably my all-time favs, but I've truly been blown away by the gentle temperments of my Cochins. Of course, my Silkies lay smallish eggs & the Cochin I have is a true pet who roams free & is no longer laying (she's my rescue bird), so I can't comment on egg size for her. The temperment question really has to be answered in the context of what else you're looking for/how important a steady supply of good sized eggs is.

Laura

Thanks for your help. I was wondering if araucana's would be OK? Are they friendly? I would like the colored eggs. Egg size and how many doesn't really matter. I am keeping these as pets.

Back
Top Bottom