What Kind of Chicken Stuff Do You Collect?

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
I have just begun to collect chicken "stuff," like little chicken what-nots, etc. Today my wife bought me two 150 year old rare prints (1861) done by Harrison Weir. One is "Spanish," and the other is "Grey Dorking." They are framed and matted, and she got them both for only $35.00! Darn my wife! Now I have to start looking in antique shops for some more old prints. LOL.

So what kind of chicken stuff do you collect?

Well I can't stop buying chickens themselves, so I guess that would count as collecting
smile.png
Other than that though, I don't really have any chicken stuff!
I just looked up Harrison Weir though, very nice work! I have some similar style old prints of horses, I love them!

I have to agree with Shannon..I can't stop collecting real chickens
hide.gif

When I go antiquing I am always drawn to chicken items but I don't buy them for some reason. I just haven't found something I really wanted to have.
My boyfriend bought me a Staub cooking pot with a rooster handle, and I LOVE that handle (almost as much as I love the pot
smile.png
)!

I have an entire set of chicken dishes, with a soup urn and a turkey platter....they have the old look and have colbalt blue roosters on them.
More salt and pepper shakers than I can count, creamer set, tea sets, serving spoons, trivets.
And then pics, statues, planters that my DH had made, lamps, I could go on and on.
BTW I have only bought 2 chicken things myself.....a coffee cup and a barred rock hen that hold a photo. All of the rest are gifts. LOL
I do have a few cows and pigs in the mix too.

PS and I have more real chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, quail and turkeys that I care to discuss. About 400+ and that does not count the quail. I have a hatching problem.
hide.gif

Last edited:
I started collecting chicken stuff years ago.. figurines, tin signs, metal statues, etc. I will be getting my first "real" chickens in August. A friend of mine was known as the "chicken lady" in the school she works at and the kids started giving her chicken stuff as gifts every year. I'm hoping one day that she will sell me her HUGE collection!

My DH is a volunteer fireman and he collects all fire-related stuff. He even restores old fire hydrants and puts them around the house!

I haven't got a lot of stuff collected since like some of you most of my money goes into the real deal.
big_smile.png
The wife did pick up a metal sign with a chick on it yesterday.

mamawolf, you have a large enough "collection" as it is! LOL.

Dobieslady1, you need a big chicken to set on one of those hydrants.
wink.png

I don't collect anymore... I grew up with chicken, they've always been my favourite animals, so naturally, everyone started giving me chicken stuff as birthday/christmas etc. presents... stuffend animals, salt and pepper shakers, dishtowels, figurines... and somehow, one day, it just gets too much... I still have a fair amount of chicken stuff in my house, but it is actually a careful selection of, like, 25 years of chicken presents...

Right now I'm collecting real chickens.
tongue.png
As far as chicken stuff-I also bought the Staub roaster with the rooster handle. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure I will when fall and winter gets here. I have a wooden vase with a carved stylized rooster from Kauai-I visited a friend who lives on Kauai and there are chickens running all over that island. I just bought a serving tray that has a modern artwork type rooster on it. I usually don't collected things anymore, but there are some interesting chicken things around. I'm just going to be very selective. I need to save my money so I can build a bigger coop!
cool.png

Today my wife bought me two 150 year old rare prints (1861) done by Harrison Weir. One is "Spanish," and the other is "Grey Dorking." They are framed and matted, and she got them both for only $35.00!

I just looked up Harrison Weir poultry prints-they are beautiful! I'd say your wife did good!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom