What kind of chickens are these?

SilkieChickenLover336

Songster
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
New Jersey
Hello! I have three beautiful chickens that I have no idea what kind of chickens they are. I got them from a friend that has a bunch of chickens so they could possibly be more than one breed but if you have to take a guess what would you think? They are also 22 weeks old and I haven't gotten any eggs yet.

Thank you in advanced.

Last edited:
They look like easter eggers to me...the comb and that the hens don't have tails, like araucanas. Do they lay?

Well, you're never getting eggs from that rooster
lol.png

I'm seeing a mixed breed rooster (or several, can't tell if it's the same bird or not). The little brownish hen looks like a barnyard mix also.

If you want us to try to puzzle out what went in the mix of the hen or another bird, we'll need better pics. Profile shots of the bird standing naturally, in good light.

The pullets appear to be rumpless, so most likely have some araucana parentage as the previous poster mentioned but not pure araucana. The cockerel is mixed breed and I really wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what is in the mix as I don't know enough about genetics. If you only have the two pullets, then they are going to get a hard time from him once he starts mating them and don't be surprised if you start to see bald patches on their neck, shoulders and back from his constant attentions. Young males are at the whim of their raging hormones and 2 hens are not enough to share the burden of his sexual appetite without showing some stress and feather damage. He will calm down a bit once he gets over that adolescent phase but they can be a pain in the mean time. I would recommend you get more hens or pen him separately.

Good luck with them. 22 weeks is still young for them to be laying. Might be nearer 30 or beyond.

Regards

Barbara

The pullets appear to be rumpless, so most likely have some araucana parentage as the previous poster mentioned but not pure araucana. The cockerel is mixed breed and I really wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what is in the mix as I don't know enough about genetics. If you only have the two pullets, then they are going to get a hard time from him once he starts mating them and don't be surprised if you start to see bald patches on their neck, shoulders and back from his constant attentions. Young males are at the whim of their raging hormones and 2 hens are not enough to share the burden of his sexual appetite without showing some stress and feather damage. He will calm down a bit once he gets over that adolescent phase but they can be a pain in the mean time. I would recommend you get more hens or pen him separately.

Good luck with them. 22 weeks is still young for them to be laying. Might be nearer 30 or beyond.

Regards

Barbara
x2

Back
Top Bottom