What kind of chickens do I have??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ttfoster, Oct 7, 2010.

1. ttfoster

ttfoster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    [​IMG]

These are my darling girls! Penny in the front and Annie in the back.

When they were colorful peeps at Easter the feed store told me that Penny is a Ameraucana and Annie is a Sussex. Here is why I ask...I have been getting brown eggs and so I thought they were from Annie. Though, every time I go out to the coop to let them out for the day Penny is the one that looks like she is having them??? Then I thought maybe she is just sitting on the egg because she is such a busy body girl. When I get them they are very warm and wet, like she just had it! Now I'm thinking maybe she is not a Ameraucana!! What do yo think???? Oh, one more thing! I'm only getting one brown egg every other day.

Thanks for your help!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    :::::DISCLAIMER:::: I am brand new to chickens, so I have no clue what i'm talking about.

Annie looks like a brown leghorn to me.

Americauna/EE can lay brown eggs.

3. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Penny looks like a red sex-link (aka red star, cinnamon queen, etc) - she'll lay brown eggs. Annie looks like a brown leghorn and will lay white eggs.

4. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    hmmmm...does anyone besides me think Penny is a Golden Comet....or am I just biased..... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Looks just like my 11 golden comets, that would be my guess.

6. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    i agree the one with white earlobes is definetly a light brown leghorn and the other looks like a red sex-link to me and she will lay brown eggs and the leghorn will lay white eggs

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Penny is a Red Sex-Link (aka Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Red Star, Gold Sex-Link, etc.), and will lay brown eggs. Red Sex-Links are considered by some to be the very best layers of brown eggs, BTW. [​IMG]

Annie looks like a Brown Leghorn, and she'll lay white eggs (white earlobe=white eggs). By her large red comb, I would guess she'll start laying any day now, probably by the end of next week. [​IMG]

They're both really pretty girls! [​IMG]

8. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Penny is beautiful, I love that white in her hackles. Really shows off that great red colour. I can't say the breed on her but I agree with everyone else that Annie looks like a nice Brown Leghorn.

9. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Golden Comet

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    golden comet and brown leghorn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by