What kind of chickens do I have??

ttfoster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
68665_056.jpg

These are my darling girls! Penny in the front and Annie in the back.

When they were colorful peeps at Easter the feed store told me that Penny is a Ameraucana and Annie is a Sussex. Here is why I ask...I have been getting brown eggs and so I thought they were from Annie. Though, every time I go out to the coop to let them out for the day Penny is the one that looks like she is having them??? Then I thought maybe she is just sitting on the egg because she is such a busy body girl. When I get them they are very warm and wet, like she just had it! Now I'm thinking maybe she is not a Ameraucana!! What do yo think???? Oh, one more thing! I'm only getting one brown egg every other day.

Thanks for your help!

:::::DISCLAIMER:::: I am brand new to chickens, so I have no clue what i'm talking about.

Annie looks like a brown leghorn to me.

Americauna/EE can lay brown eggs.

Penny looks like a red sex-link (aka red star, cinnamon queen, etc) - she'll lay brown eggs. Annie looks like a brown leghorn and will lay white eggs.

i agree the one with white earlobes is definetly a light brown leghorn and the other looks like a red sex-link to me and she will lay brown eggs and the leghorn will lay white eggs

Penny is a Red Sex-Link (aka Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Red Star, Gold Sex-Link, etc.), and will lay brown eggs. Red Sex-Links are considered by some to be the very best layers of brown eggs, BTW.
wink.png

Annie looks like a Brown Leghorn, and she'll lay white eggs (white earlobe=white eggs). By her large red comb, I would guess she'll start laying any day now, probably by the end of next week.
smile.png

They're both really pretty girls!
big_smile.png

Penny is beautiful, I love that white in her hackles. Really shows off that great red colour. I can't say the breed on her but I agree with everyone else that Annie looks like a nice Brown Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom