What kind of chickens should I order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmdsparrow, May 13, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I'm just starting in this world of raising chickens for eggs and am very excited. I live in New York City and though it is legal to have chickens, I don't want to annoy my neighbors. Are there chickens that are quieter than others or chickens that are very noisy that I should avoid?
    Thanks.

2. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Some breeds that are very quiet, gentle, calm and kid friendly and also lay lots of eggs are Brahmas, Buff Orpintons and Delawares. Also silkies are really cute and friendly too!!

3. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    My Pet Chicken and Henderson's both are good resources for info on breeds. Of course, the main thing is to avoid a rooster. My noisiest hens are my Speckled Sussex, and the quietest are my Buff Orpingtons.

4. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    roosters are noisey, they crow but my hens only make noise when they get upset. I have barred rocks, australorp, and isa browns, lay brown eggs

5. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    First of all, [​IMG]

Some breeds that are especially friendly and calm are Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers, Brahmas, Delewares, and New Hampshire Reds. Rhode island reds are loud, and leghorns and campines can be kind of mean. Good Luck!

6. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    [​IMG] You came to the right place....I learn something here everyday. [​IMG]

7. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I have heard that the Easter Eggers, Turkens, and Barred Rocks are all quiet and calm! That is what I ordered!

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i live pretty close to the neighbors and they dont like noise so i decided to order a silkie, cochin, brahma, jersey giant, orpington, and a easter egger. I cant wait till next week when they arrive [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My quietest chicken is my BO. However, she did flare her neck feathers and BAWK!!! at my dog, the other day. But that's okay, because he needed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by