What kind of comb is this chick getting?

AOrchard

Songster
May 27, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello! I can't find a reference of baby chick combs, can you help with this one? It looked like a single comb to start with but in the last few days this other row of spikes showed up and now it's two distinct rows. Baby is from a bantam barnyard mix, a black rosecomb roo by supposedly a campine, but in the pictures I have of them the "rosecomb" roo has a straight comb (otherwise correct), campine is straight combed, so thinking can't be campine, and there's plenty of other hens and comb types in the flock.

Attachments

• PXL_20210225_002735505.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210225_002735505.MP.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 47
Hello! I can't find a reference of baby chick combs, can you help with this one? It looked like a single comb to start with but in the last few days this other row of spikes showed up and now it's two distinct rows. Baby is from a bantam barnyard mix, a black rosecomb roo by supposedly a campine, but in the pictures I have of them the "rosecomb" roo has a straight comb (otherwise correct), campine is straight combed, so thinking can't be campine, and there's plenty of other hens and comb types in the flock.
That's a Buttercup comb.

Here's the picture I was sent of the flock. Dad is lower left. Mom was supposedly the campine but could be any of the bantam hens, or smaller hens (chick is tiny, definitely small bantam size).

Attachments

• 5aa6c03b35ea3a9bd539f820fd8c84de.0.jpg
    5aa6c03b35ea3a9bd539f820fd8c84de.0.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 37
Here's the picture I was sent of the flock. Dad is lower left. Mom was supposedly the campine but could be any of the bantam hens, or smaller hens (chick is tiny, definitely small bantam size).
The father looks more like a blue Andalusian or a mix, certainly not a black rosecomb bantam. The mother could be a Sicilian buttercup instead of a campine, I can’t tell for sure with that picture. It’s also possible his comb is the result of a V-comb mixed with a single comb, which can produce double-bladed single combs that look much like buttercup combs.

Back
Top Bottom