What kind of coop for silkies

We have 8 Silkies, the two youngest are 15 weeks old, the older ones are all about 2-3 years old, and we have no problem with any of them using a full-size coop.
The adult Silkies go up alongside the RIRs, EEs, and Comets, while the juveniles use a slightly smaller version of our segregated coop to get used to full-time living when they're mature.
Maybe some training is in order for your Silkies. We have, from time to time (or with new arrivals or young birds) needed to show them the entrance and ramp, how to use the ramp to go inside, and point out the roost bars for both sides of the coop. On the juveniles' side, the lower roost bar (really just a step-up bar) is about 8" off the floor, while the primary roost bars are 19" off the floor. The two young birds usually just jump from the floor to the higher bars to roost for the night without bothering with the lower bar.
Could you share pics please?

What pics are you looking for, the coop, the roost bars, the birds?
Coop and roosts...birds would be cute too LOL...but I'll take whatever ideas you can/want to share.
I didn't do enough research before getting these chicks and have wasted >$1200 so far. So I'm desperately trying to think through and research it all so as to not waste anymore $.
Thank you!!!

Coop and roosts...birds would be cute too LOL...but I'll take whatever ideas you can/want to share.
I didn't do enough research before getting these chicks and have wasted >$1200 so far. So I'm desperately trying to think through and research it all so as to not waste anymore $.
Thank you!!!

Here's a link to another post on coop construction with some photos of our coop and explanations of what you're seeing in the photos. It's post #26 on page 3 of the thread titled:

"Calling all roost & poop board designers! ;)"​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-board-designers.1481036/page-3#post-24688309

What set-up did you decide on for your Silkies? Mine wouldn't use a ramp, either, even wen I gave them a box-coop with a low door. They wouldn't jump even a scant eight inches just eight inches from the ground. I ended up putting two "steps" up to it - a concrete slab/brick with a firewood log lodged between it and the bottm of the coop. Voila! instant success!

Back
Top Bottom