1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of coop should i use to house show quality silkies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poultryhaven, Sep 14, 2009.

1. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I'm thinkin of getting silkies from a really good breeder. I'm kind of excited lol. I was wondering what kind of coop i should use so they don't get al dirty. I know i have to use shavings but should i have their run up in the air or on the ground? Anyone have pictures? I'm eithergetting black or white.

2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am going through the same problem. I have decided to build a raised coop, with a run that is 3 inches off the ground with wire. So the grass will grow up and they can eat it but they can't get dirty. [​IMG]

3. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    a nice secure coop is just fine, it does not need to be fancy just safe. the run you could do a hardware cloth bottom, but I dont know how rough that would be on their feet long term.

a better option I think would be to have a fort knox coop and run. but in the run have a good gravel base topped with 6-8 inches of clean sand. it would drain very well and dust off the chickens easily. thus no muddy ucky chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by