What Kind Of Coop!

Chicky Lover

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Texas
I have six five day old chicks and I know they grow very quickly! I have no idea what size coop or run to build... ANY suggestions?
WIN_20200329_17_09_14_Pro.jpg

What breed are they because that will affect it more than anything. I wouldn’t recommend anything smaller than about 6 by 6 for standard sizes. so 6 square feet of space per bird but I like to go bigger, about 8-10 square feet per bird. Now that includes run and coop. It all depends on if your free ranging , if so for how long, the size and types of birds, etc

Are you limited to six where you live or is that all you have for now? If you can have more, chances are you will end up with more, build it big enough now, so you won't be building another coop next year. I like walk in coops, it makes it easier to maintain IMO and you can get ventilation up higher where it needs to be. Also if you add your general location to your profile, better answers can be given on the type of coop that may work better in your area.

Last edited:
Are you limited to six where you live or is that all you have for now? If you can have more, chances are you will end up with more, so build it big enough now, so you won't be building another coop next year. I like walk in coops, it makes it easier to maintain IMO and you can get ventilation up higher where it needs to be. Also if you add your general location to your profile, better answers can be given on the type of coop that may work better in your area.

That is all I have for now.

What breed are they because that will affect it more than anything. I wouldn’t recommend anything smaller than about 6 by 6 for standard sizes. so 6 square feet of space per bird but I like to go bigger, about 8-10 square feet per bird. Now that includes run and coop. It all depends on if your free ranging , if so for how long, the size and types of birds, etc

I am not sure but here are my guesses by searching the internet: 2 of them Orpington or Rhode Island Red, 1 Leghorn, 2 Easter Eggers, and the last one an Australorp...

If I am wrong please don't blame me I am a first time Chicken Mama

I am not sure but here are my guesses by searching the internet: 2 of them Orpington or Rhode Island Red, 1 Leghorn, 2 Easter Eggers, and the last one an Australorp...

If I am wrong please don't blame me I am a first time Chicken Mama
We were all newbies at one point or another so don’t worry about it. The previous replies are right, you will likely want to get more in the future so bigger is usually better. All of those are standards though so you will need a bigger coop than you would bantams. How I would go about this is finding a cheap shed on Craigslist or something, maybe even making a coop of your own but go with your gut feeling. If you feel the chickens need more space then give them more space or the opposite of that. In the long run, you won’t be satisfied if you don’t follow your gut.
Hope this helps!!

I have six five day old chicks and I know they grow very quickly! I have no idea what size coop or run to build... ANY suggestions?View attachment 2067203
It must have a feeder and water dish, a roosting area, and a nest box for every three hens. A proper coop should be large enough to hold the eggs and shovel the manure comfortably, but a simple henhouse may be a little smaller.

Back
Top Bottom