What kind of disease is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrostWhiteChickens, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Hello! Does anyone know what disease is this? Two of my chickens have this symptom.

e8737264613d66838e54dab810aa246f.jpg

BlueBaby likes this.
  2. Thanks.

007Sean likes this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Looks like Fowl pox to me. You'll get more answers on the disease forum.

LofMc

ChickNanny13 and 007Sean like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC :welcome

If you can post a photo of both chickens, including their whole face/both sides of the face so we can see the combs too that would be good.

To me it looks like a scab on the earlobe. Look around to see if they are sticking their head through wire or if there is nail/staple the ear may have gotten caught on and tore.
    Could also be from a hard peck - are these 2 being picked on during roosting or any other time?

If it's just a scab from injury and no one is picking at the scab, then I would leave it alone and watch it for several days. A scab will eventually dry up and fall off.

5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Glad you decided to join us. Enjoy your time here at BYC! Looks like maybe fowl pox. Try putting your question in the ER forum.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    I guess it could be fowl pox, but it looks more like an injury to me. More pictures would be helpful.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. Hello everyone, sorry for my late reply! I think it may not be fowl pox. I've had fowl pox before. The symptom of this time is different. Here're more pics:
    IMG_0541.jpeg IMG_0553.jpeg IMG_0556.jpeg

8. I have one more chicken has this symptom. And the fur under their armpit look bad too:
    IMG_0563.jpeg

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Have you check them for lice and mites?
    Look under those feathers more closely are there any wounds or abscess under the wing? That almost looks like some type of discharge that has been weeping onto the feathers.
    Do the birds have an odor?

For the earlobes to be like that on both birds, to me it's a little odd. Do they sleep near a heater, are they the only 2 crested birds you have? Are they house with older chickens?

It does not look like typical Fowl Pox to me. I see no other lesions on the face to I would associate with Pox.

10. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    The one on the ear looks like a wound possibly from pecking. The other we can’t really see much. If you could trim the feathers perhaps and then take a photo.
    Have you tried to wash the wounds? Wipe with a soft cloth with some mild soap and water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: