What kind of dog do you have?

LOL is there some unwritten rule that if you have two black & tan doxies, you need a white fluffy dog too.
big_smile.png
How cute!

Last edited:
I have 6 Miniature Schnauzers, 1 Shepard / Husky Mix, and 1 St. Bernard / Collie Mix.

The schnauzers and st. bernard / collie mix do great with other animals.. stay around and listen pretty good. We dont have a fenced in yard either....

The Shepard / Husky Mix - we got from some people that very much abused him... He kills anything he can get a hold of - except humans and cats.. but we are pretty sure it was how he was raised.

But in all reality - I love the bigger dogs versus the smaller dogs... Good Luck with your search!

well after seeing everyone pics and reading about thier dogs- my dogs told me to talk about them.
right now we have 3 boxers
a flashy fawn female- Daisy, a flashy fawn brindle female- Abbey, a fawn male- Wally.
I also have a beagle/basset/boxer mix male- Jake Jake
and his mom a beagle/basset - Dixie who I love most of all. She only has three working legs ( which has not slowed her down )
Dixie was born normal, but when she was about 1 1/2 she got out of the yard and some teenagers thought it would be fun to use her as a football, they broke her pelvis on both sides, gave her cuts all over her body and damaged her front leg so badly she will never walk on it again, but she is my sweetheart after all that abuse by people she still loves it when company comes over to visit.
As much as I love all my dogs I would not trust any of them with the chickens or the ducks LOL

I have one male german shepard- age 1, one brindle staffordshire terrier (pit bull)- age 2, and one bichon frise-age older than rocks. Every one of them were rescued dogs.

First of all I am sorry for your loss. We know we are will out live our pets, but it is still very painful when they die.
If you are looking for a dog you need to sit down and figure out what kind you want, if you are not a very active person, I would stay with smaller breeds. Labs make good dogs, but if they are not worked and exercised A LOT then they will become obsturctive. And if you are going for a retiver of some sort I would go with a puppy thatway you have a better shot at training them to not eat your birds.
Herding dogs are good companions but they also require a lot of exercise. I would also advise a puppy with them. We have a puppy I have her pictures posted under "New puppy" She will spend hours chasing the chickens arounds, and sometimes she gets lucky and catches one. I have had to watch her close so she dont hurt them. ANd she is getting better about not usig them as a chew toy. She is a border collie Aussie mix.
You may want to think about hair. If you dont want to deal with a lot of hours vacuming because the dog is shedding all over, I would go with weenies, german short hair chiuahas.
Unless you either have a lot of energy or coon hunt I would stay away from Hounds, Blye ticks, blod hounds.....THey will tear up everything, and you cant trust them not to wander off to investigate what they smell.
I have had a corgi, and they are pretty fun little dogs. THey are very cute, and not aweful big.
I also own a black german shepherd named lady. She is very awesome, she is very laid back, and is happy just lounging around during the day. SHe isnt at all hyper. And I trust her with my kids. I have literally step on her tail, pulled her ears, and pinched her to see if I could get her to growl or snap. And she has done niehter. She is my pride. She gets up and goes runnig when we ride bikes. And that gives her enough exercise.
I hope you find the right dog for your self. You ought to pick up a dog breeds book and sit down and look up different breeds. It would be very usful. I wish you luck finding your new companion.

Thanks for all your input. We are reading, researching, and talking to people through rescue groups. Plus I've been spending too much time on Petfinder! There's always dogs/puppies in the paper.

We have dealt with the hair issue with our husky. We are kinda active, but still laid back. I don't want a hyper dog for sure, or a high-maintenence dog.

I've heard to get them as young pups, so they can grow up with the chickens.

More ideas, please..........
hmm.png

Yeah, shelter dogs just seem to know they've been "saved". I've got a PUG, ....Myrtle....smart as a hammer...stupid as a stump. But she's faithful and loveable, and wouldn't hurt any chicken. She back's up and lets Rosie eat and Myrt takes the left overs.

Back
Top Bottom