what kind of dog is good with chickens?

Quote:
We have a 95lb black lab and he LOVES our chickens. In fact, they are HIS chickens, not ours.
big_smile.png
He has babysat them since they were chicks and if they start a ruckus he deadruns to the coop to see what's the matter. We also have a golden retriever that doesn't bother them and a large terrier mix pup that as of last fall got along great with them. Since we haven't "free ranged" this winter I'll be curious how he is this spring (under watchful eye of course).

The lab also saved one of our guineas from drowning in a pond, he brought her all the way back to the house, soaking wet but alive, without one puncture or feather broken. Rosie (a RIR) loves to perch and sleep on his back. However, this same lab killed a skunk that he perceived way to close to our daughter. In 2 seconds flat he had it by the neck and flipped in the air, then dropped it. Skunk was dead and he didn't break its skin (I checked because I was worried about rabies even with shots).

When we initially got chickens we introduced them and I know it sounds dumb, but we told the dogs "These are family, we do NOT eat family". We supervised the first several 'visits' but they seemed to know. With the newest pup we did need to tell him No when he tried playing with them but that's the extent of our training. Oh... we also had the same "talk" with some baby bunnies we got and no problems there -- but wild rabbits watch out. The dogs obviously know who's family and who's not.

I know I haven't helped much but does show that a bird dog or retriever can get along with chickens. Good luck and hope you find a pet that'll work well for you.

I have a husky mix who as a puppy had a strong prey drive. As soon as we brought the chickens into our lives, I always brought her around but made it very clear that she was to show no interest in the chickens whatsoever. She's allowed into the storage area of the chicken coop but never through the door to the actual roost/living area. I was consistent in enforcing this. Now she can walk into the coop and all she's interested in is eating chicken poop off the floor.
sickbyc.gif

Today I had one of the one week old chicks in the living room. She sniffed with great interest (till the chick was wet from her nose) but quickly lost interest. Even the cat (who eats birds from time to time) stays away.
Consistant discipline is key. Though, there's just no accounting for some dogs...

Why do so many people seem to think if they buy a 'guarding' breed dog as a puppy he will automatically grow up into a perfect guard dog? Ditto for 'herding' dogs. I mean, collies are the ultimate natural herders but look at how much time, effort and commitment a farmer will put into training each one before it becomes even a half decent sheepdog!

99% of the time if your dog is not behaving how YOU want it to, the reason and the solution is to be found with you and NOT the dog. I do say 99% because of course there are always exceptions, but again why do so many people with 'bad' dogs seem to take the easy way out and decide that their dog IS the exception and has to go? With that assumption, they could probably go through ten different dogs and have the same problems every time...

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I guess it is.
hide.gif

Quote:
Because training takes time and most people don't make time from all thier stuff to work with dogs.
My LGD dogs where born with chickens and I have never had a proublem with them hurting my chickens.
I had one dog I adopted a bird dog mix who after a year decided to start attacking my chickens I worked with him for 6 months,but nothing worked and I had to take him to the animal shelter.Then I researched my breeds and found LGD's so I went with a Cross breed Anatolian/Pyrenees mix.
Big diffrence between gaurd dog ,hearding and gaurdian dog in how they watch over animals.

Last edited:
A great pyreens is a guardian dog and is bread to guard animals. They are a great family dog and that's what we plan on getting after some of our pass away. I have a masitff that is great with the birds. I also have a jack/chua mix, and a german sheppard mix. Both are great with the birds. I had the dogs first and it took little training, but they were trained before I got the birds. I also didn't let my chicken free range for many months to let the dogs get used to them. Now they eat the eggs, but i don't really care about that. Eggs are great for dogs coats. I would just say watch the dog and make sure they don't even chase them. That can grow into nipping, and bitting. I rarely have any issues with pest because I have dogs. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom