What kind of duck is this

Thank you all for so many replies. Yes, I will follow up with more pictures as they change.

Silver Appleyard would be awesome, but I bet the chances of the hatchery throwing those into TSC's assorted ducks would be slim. It seems like most hatcheries charge a premium for that breed.

Runners does seem likely, because in my searching, that appears to be one of the few breeds that has a lot of different color mutations. And my thoughts on the smokey yellow-grey ones when I saw them in the bin, was that they must be a non-standard color for whatever they are. (Do Rouens come in blue?) It will be interesting to see how that one feathers up. I bought two of them, but one died on the second day. :(

Since my other smokey one died, I have been haunting the TSC bins, hoping to find another one like it. There are 2 TSCs here about a half hour drive apart. I live right between them. :oops:

Plus there are half a dozen others within an hour or less. But employees who answer the phones don't know how to describe ducklings. I drove 40 minutes to see some that were "brownish colored with stripes on their heads". Turned out to be Rouens or mallards. She thought the black looked brown to her.

I have seen several that look like Blue Swedish.

I kinda wish hatcherys would start a mutt ducks breed. Where they just toss a bunch of different breeds together and see what happens! I've got welsh harlequin, cayuga buff and black swedish ducklings right now and that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm in it for bunches of different egg colors. But I'm gonna let them mate and hatch in the spring.

I found something! This picture on Pinterest has a chick colored like mine. But I have no idea what kind of mother duck that is. The Pinterest link was a dead end.

IMG_6898.JPG

I see two black swedish ducks and what appears to be two cayugas. That one could be a silver appleyard but I'm thinking possibly a Golden 300 layer. Beautiful ducks!

I found something! This picture on Pinterest has a chick colored like mine. But I have no idea what kind of mother duck that is. The Pinterest link was a dead end.

View attachment 1513876
It would be great if you got one like her, she is beautiful! Looks like a Pekin/Rouen cross, maybe 2nd gen back to Pekin? I would have ducks, but neighbors would probably shoot them... They are kind of bent that way.

Back
Top Bottom