What kind of duck is this

Pics

Finnie

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Just north of Indianapolis
I have 5 ducklings from Tractor Supply. I'm pretty sure the three oldest ones (4weeks) are 2 Swedish and a Cayuga. The two younger ones (2 weeks) are 1 maybe Cayuga and 1 mystery breed. In all my googling, I haven't been able to find a duckling photo like it.

Maybe they are runners. They tend to stand up tall when I'm stalking them with the camera, but so far, they don't have that pencil thin look so many runners have.

So here are the photos. The one in question is the smoky yellow one with the black dorsal stripe.

IMG_6878.JPG
IMG_6879.JPG
IMG_6880.JPG
IMG_6881.JPG

Here are the older ones. I don't really think they stand like runners either.
IMG_6886.JPG
IMG_6887.JPG
IMG_6888.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
IMG_6892.JPG

Well go buy them;)

Warning! Warning! An enabler has been spotted in the vacinity. Take immediate action to guard againest duck math.

Ha ha, you guys are too funny! Who needs enablers? While you were here egging me on (and I didn't know it), I was out making the 45 minute drive to one of the TSCs that had a brown duckling!

IMG_6956.JPG

And of course, TSC has a 2 duck minimum purchase, so I got these two as well:
IMG_6963.JPG
IMG_6966.JPG

The man working said he thought these Pekins looked different than the Pekins they normally get. I know they often have darker yellow on their heads, but I picked the two that had the darkest heads with the most stripey look, just in case they could possibly be Buffs instead of Pekins.
IMG_6952.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG

All right, now my brooder is full, and duck math has me up to 10 ducks! I justify it by saying that I will probably have to sell a ton of males, and then that will leave me with a more reasonable number of ducks. :D

No chance they are Welsh Harlequin?
https://goo.gl/images/iMC946

https://goo.gl/images/tVWvxp

But then that’s just what I would want them to be :lau
Welsh Harlequins would be nice, but I don't think they have any resemblance. But if it were possible, I would will my new Pekins to turn into Buffs! :lau

Ha ha, you guys are too funny! Who needs enablers? While you were here egging me on (and I didn't know it), I was out making the 45 minute drive to one of the TSCs that had a brown duckling!

View attachment 1521525

And of course, TSC has a 2 duck minimum purchase, so I got these two as well:
View attachment 1521526 View attachment 1521527
The man working said he thought these Pekins looked different than the Pekins they normally get. I know they often have darker yellow on their heads, but I picked the two that had the darkest heads with the most stripey look, just in case they could possibly be Buffs instead of Pekins.
View attachment 1521524 View attachment 1521528
All right, now my brooder is full, and duck math has me up to 10 ducks! I justify it by saying that I will probably have to sell a ton of males, and then that will leave me with a more reasonable number of ducks. :D

Welsh Harlequins would be nice, but I don't think they have any resemblance. But if it were possible, I would will my new Pekins to turn into Buffs! :lau
Oh dear, looks like you've already contracted duck math fever. I'm afraid it's too late for you now. ;)

IMG_7267.JPG
IMG_7288.JPG
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_7271.JPG
I promised to show photos as the original mystery chick in this thread grew up.
I see two black swedish ducks and what appears to be two cayugas. That one could be a silver appleyard but I'm thinking possibly a Golden 300 layer. Beautiful ducks!

Hmmm, Looking at them closer I think you have 2 black Swedish ducklings, A Cayuga, and a Golden 300 duckling.

Bingo! Both of you were right, the original 5 were 2 Black Swedish, a Cayuga and 2 Golden 300s. Of this group, only the Cayuga is a female. These are them:

IMG_7267.JPG

The one that started out black ended up like this (center bird):
IMG_7288.JPG

View attachment 1520003 View attachment 1520004 View attachment 1520005 View attachment 1520006 View attachment 1520007 If it's a Golden 300, those are sex-linked, aren't they? And I think I read that black on it means a boy? View attachment 1520008
I was correct about these two. Both golden 300's, the chocolate one female and the black tinted one male.
They are the two in the center of this photo, that have the Blue Swedish in between them. The chocolate female is in front.
IMG_7302.JPG

I think I have a chocolate runner among the littles. I can't wait to see how they turn out! I really hope they are girls so I don't have to sell them
I was right, chocolate runner. And I got what I wanted! All of my Buffs, Blue Swedish and Chocolates are females!! Yay! That SO makes up for the first group being 4 out of 5 males! This is the only shot I have that shows the Buffs and the Chocolate Runner:
IMG_7271.JPG

I had a man come to buy one of the drakes, and having had ducks most of his life, he was able to positively sex all my ducks for me. (I have heard quacking in the group, but was unable to tell which birds were doing it.) He really wanted me to sell him a female, so since I felt blessed with plenty of females, and the chocolate runner was the oddball in the group, I let him buy her. He also ended up taking a second male.

So now I am down to 9 ducks. 6 females and 3 males, of which I am going to sell (or eat) the last male Golden 300, and keep one Black Swedish male for breeding and the other Black Swedish male for backup.
Here is my duck flock as it stands now:
IMG_7301.JPG
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_7303.JPG
IMG_7304.JPG

Edit: I don't know why those four photos got duplicated at the top, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom