What kind of duck is this

If you see more and they have brown coloring instead of grey, they are female.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to find, but I have checked many TSC stores, every week (usually call) for the last month, and only came across the 3 blackish ones so far. No brown ones like this.

I HAVE however, run across several brown ducklings like the new one I got yesterday, and assumed they were Khaki Campbells or Chocolate Runners. Now I'm wondering if they could have been female 300's. For that matter, if Hoover is sending out 300's to all the TSCs, now I'm a little worried that my black "Swedish" are actually male 300's. And my Cayugas! I've been choosing black ducks on purpose to get shiny green feathers. But what if I've been inadvertently stacking the deck in favor of males? I'm going to have a problem!

It makes me want to go around and buy up every brown duckling I can find, in hopes of getting at least SOME females. But I don't want to own too many ducks all told. One TSC manager told me that there are only a couple weeks left of chick days. It will probably be a good thing once it's over. Then I can deal with my male/female ratio after I know what it is. I'm thinking of making a boy pen and a girl pen, and letting them free range on alternate days.

I got some new photos. So I moved the little ducklings' playpen out to the big duckling pen for about a week so they could get used to being near each other. Then 2 days ago I took the littles out of the playpen. The bigs don't always play nice, but I think they are working things out.

IMG_7087.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG
IMG_7093.JPG
IMG_7094.JPG
IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7097.JPG

I think I have a chocolate runner among the littles. :) AND! My "Pekins" are growing golden feathers on their wings!! Surely that means they are buff colored? Whatever they are, they must be something other than Pekins. I can't wait to see how they turn out! I really hope they are girls so I don't have to sell them.

I kinda wish hatcherys would start a mutt ducks breed. Where they just toss a bunch of different breeds together and see what happens! I've got welsh harlequin, cayuga buff and black swedish ducklings right now and that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm in it for bunches of different egg colors. But I'm gonna let them mate and hatch in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom