What kind of duck is this

Really we had a member on BYC that had three snowy mallardsand they were pure white no coloring at all
It is possible for them to be pure white, but I've had two hens, I still have one; and they are basically welsh harlequin colored mallards minus the slate bill/legs. So the mother duck in that pic is probably a miniature silver appleyard or snowy mallard, which is definitely a possibility.

Golden 300 and by the coloring I would say male.
Thank you. That's kind of what I was afraid of. I guess if I find more, I won't buy them. :( I'll just have to see how many males I end up with, and how they get along, and then decide which ones/how many I can keep.

The oldest Cayuga has started making a quack, but so far I can't tell whether it's a strong quack or a soft, raspy quack. She doesn't do it that often.

IMG_6998.JPG
IMG_7004.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG

I forgot to post these photos from Sept 6. Up to 12 now! These are hopefully Blue Swedish, and NOT more male Golden 300s.

And they were outgrowing their Rubbermaid tote, so I got them this playpen today off Craigslist for $10!

IMG_7015.JPG

IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG

Hopefully by the time they outgrow this one, they can go outside with the bigger ducklings. (Who I should get photos of if I get a chance.) One of my "Cayugas" has turned from black to brown!

Does anybody know if it's difficult to integrate new ducks into an existing flock? I found an ad on CL where they were selling Cayugas that are one year old. Just wondering if that would work out to increase my number of known females.

And eventually I'm going to need to integrate my two sets of ducklings.

Your doing better on your duck math than me. I only wanted 10-16 this year max. But my first hatch of welsh Harlequin was looking like nearly all males. 4 females 7 males, so to fix my ratio I started more eggs and ended up ordering 4 females. My friend the ducky enabler she is kept giving me more eggs. Which I had to try and hatch because they have the blue egg layer gene really strong in their flock. And well I want a Cayuga that lays blue eggs!

Now I am up to 26 ducklings. And I want to incubate more eggs still. I have 3 eBay ads I am watching for the last breed I might add. But I really shouldn’t. I already have 10 more ducks than planned and I still don’t know if they are male or female for sure on some!

Back
Top Bottom