What kind of duck is this

Well go buy them;)

Warning! Warning! An enabler has been spotted in the vacinity. Take immediate action to guard againest duck math.

Ha ha, you guys are too funny! Who needs enablers? While you were here egging me on (and I didn't know it), I was out making the 45 minute drive to one of the TSCs that had a brown duckling!

IMG_6956.JPG

And of course, TSC has a 2 duck minimum purchase, so I got these two as well:
IMG_6963.JPG
IMG_6966.JPG

The man working said he thought these Pekins looked different than the Pekins they normally get. I know they often have darker yellow on their heads, but I picked the two that had the darkest heads with the most stripey look, just in case they could possibly be Buffs instead of Pekins.
IMG_6952.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG

All right, now my brooder is full, and duck math has me up to 10 ducks! I justify it by saying that I will probably have to sell a ton of males, and then that will leave me with a more reasonable number of ducks. :D

No chance they are Welsh Harlequin?
https://goo.gl/images/iMC946

https://goo.gl/images/tVWvxp

But then that’s just what I would want them to be :lau
Welsh Harlequins would be nice, but I don't think they have any resemblance. But if it were possible, I would will my new Pekins to turn into Buffs! :lau

Ha ha, you guys are too funny! Who needs enablers? While you were here egging me on (and I didn't know it), I was out making the 45 minute drive to one of the TSCs that had a brown duckling!

View attachment 1521525

And of course, TSC has a 2 duck minimum purchase, so I got these two as well:
View attachment 1521526 View attachment 1521527
The man working said he thought these Pekins looked different than the Pekins they normally get. I know they often have darker yellow on their heads, but I picked the two that had the darkest heads with the most stripey look, just in case they could possibly be Buffs instead of Pekins.
View attachment 1521524 View attachment 1521528
All right, now my brooder is full, and duck math has me up to 10 ducks! I justify it by saying that I will probably have to sell a ton of males, and then that will leave me with a more reasonable number of ducks. :D

Welsh Harlequins would be nice, but I don't think they have any resemblance. But if it were possible, I would will my new Pekins to turn into Buffs! :lau
Oh dear, looks like you've already contracted duck math fever. I'm afraid it's too late for you now. ;)

IMG_6998.JPG
IMG_7004.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG

I forgot to post these photos from Sept 6. Up to 12 now! These are hopefully Blue Swedish, and NOT more male Golden 300s.

And they were outgrowing their Rubbermaid tote, so I got them this playpen today off Craigslist for $10!

IMG_7015.JPG

IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG

Hopefully by the time they outgrow this one, they can go outside with the bigger ducklings. (Who I should get photos of if I get a chance.) One of my "Cayugas" has turned from black to brown!

Does anybody know if it's difficult to integrate new ducks into an existing flock? I found an ad on CL where they were selling Cayugas that are one year old. Just wondering if that would work out to increase my number of known females.

And eventually I'm going to need to integrate my two sets of ducklings.

Look no touch pen is one good way to integrate a newbie into an existing flock. Same with ducklings give them time to live side by side for a while so they get to know each other. Then begin to let them be together with treats tossed out on the ground. Shouldn't take too long to get them into one flock. Your ducklings are adorable.

Look no touch pen is one good way to integrate a newbie into an existing flock. Same with ducklings give them time to live side by side for a while so they get to know each other. Then begin to let them be together with treats tossed out on the ground. Shouldn't take too long to get them into one flock. Your ducklings are adorable.
Thank you!
I guess that's a lot similar to introducing new chickens to the flock.

Sadly, the lady selling the Cayugas lost both of her females to a predator before I was able to respond to her ad. She said she hopes she can sell her males before it comes back.

Snowy malards are the same color as Welch Harlequins
Ooo, now I have to go Google Snowy Mallards!

Your doing better on your duck math than me. I only wanted 10-16 this year max. But my first hatch of welsh Harlequin was looking like nearly all males. 4 females 7 males, so to fix my ratio I started more eggs and ended up ordering 4 females. My friend the ducky enabler she is kept giving me more eggs. Which I had to try and hatch because they have the blue egg layer gene really strong in their flock. And well I want a Cayuga that lays blue eggs!

Now I am up to 26 ducklings. And I want to incubate more eggs still. I have 3 eBay ads I am watching for the last breed I might add. But I really shouldn’t. I already have 10 more ducks than planned and I still don’t know if they are male or female for sure on some!

Back
Top Bottom