1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of duck is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bt95, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Does anyone know what kind of duck he is?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6556407/quacks-pictures/
    I’ve posted a few pictures of my duck, Quack, in my album on here. (I have a million more; whether it is with me, my dad, or just himself, he looooooves posing for the camera. He’s the biggest ham, haha.) I have no idea what kind of duck he is. He’s white and has blue eyes, but he isn’t quite as big looking as a Pekin duck is. I’ve seen Pekin ducks before in person and while looking at them, all I could think was “You’re huge compared to my Quack!” He weighs 4 pounds and eats very, very well. He’s eating the Nutrena flock food and snacks like minnow, mealworms, veggies, etc. Based on my research, I think he could be a White Campbell duck, or maybe some sort of Pekin mixed with a smaller breed. Based on how he looks and his weight, I think he’s a White Campbell duck. His quacks sound more like a Khaki Campbell’s than a Pekin’s. I’ve asked people who have/had ducks and they’re not sure as to what he is. He hatched on December 19th, so he’s almost 9 months old. Based on his pictures/weight, what do you think he is? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Turbo V6 Camaro

Turbo V6 Camaro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    looks just like the AFLAC duck !!!!

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Your duckling is definitely not a Pekin, I can tell from his duckling pictures. I'm thinking he's a white mallard as he's the right weight for one. If he was a pound or so smaller, I would say white call duck.

I just looked up white khaki Campbell ducklings and there was one photo that looked like Quack, so that might also be a good guess. He's the right weight for that breed, too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    I appreciate both of your answers very much! I do think he's a bit cuter than the Aflac duck, though. [​IMG] I tried searching for white mallards, but I don't think that he is one. I've seen mallards before and his body looks different than a mallard's. I stumbled upon a breed called the White Golden Layer duck this morning, and he sort of looks like them, too. As a duckling he looked like the illustrated ducklings in the first link. He's the right weight to be that breed.
    I'm glad that I found this website. I've been trying to figure out what type of duck he is since he was two days old. [​IMG]

http://www.efowl.com/White_Golden_Layer_Ducks_p/1073.htm

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInformation.cfm?Breed=White Layer&BirdType=Duck&ID=WHGOL

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sure is pretty, where did you get your duck from.?

6. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you, I got him from a local farm supply store. [​IMG] I had always wanted a pet duck or goose. He has turned out to be my most favorite pet.

7. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    He is pretty! And [​IMG]

8. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you!! [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you sure it's a he? does he have the drake feather? and sorry I forgot to Welcome you too.. Welcome. [​IMG]

10. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Quack is definitely a he. I had thought that he was a girl at first because he was more vocal, but he has his drake feathers and everything. Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by