What kind of duck should I get?

Aug 17, 2019
Middle of North Carolina
Earlier this spring the group of ducklings I had died. So this September I’m planning on getting ducklings or hatching eggs. What kind of duck should I get. I don’t really care about the egg production or meat. I just want pet ducks. I don’t want moscovies. I do want them to be good at being broody. Also should I get ducklings or duck eggs?

:welcome
Runners are always a lot of fun and very sociable even though they don't really like to be touched much. But they will touch me and walk all over me and talk to me. They are a lot of fun. Now my pekins are more social and like to be pet and loved on when they are in the mood. Others on here will have more good advice on what breeds to get. I have only had ducks for a about a year and half so I am still learning.

I am partial to Cayugas and Call Ducks. All of mine are super friendly and social with me, but then again I did hatch out and hand-raise them myself. ;) If you have an incubator and the time to hand-raise them yourself, I would highly suggest that. This way they imprint on you and think you're their mom, making bonding with them a snap. My Cayugas are 5 years old now and still follow me around like ducklings, and love to snuggle. <3 The Calls also follow me around and like to be near me, but no snuggling. They are super cute as well, so tiny!

Welsh Harliquins would be my suggestion. Calmer and would raise their own young. I love runners but they are a little crazy. Most other ducks don't make great moms. Check out Metzers website for breed comparisons. They have fertility rates and mom rates. It's a very good source of information. Until recently, I always ordered day olds, mine are viewed as half farm animals and half pets. I just hatched two sets and the difference in the disposition of day olds and ones you hatch yourself is remarkable. If what you want is pets, hatching is the way to go. Even if you don't want babies or eggs, please watch your drake ratio. I have a rapist gander that is terrorizing my other goose.

May we ask what happened to your firstducklings that died. And very sorry for your loss.

I love my Runners but mine have never gone broody.
Neither have my Buffs.

Others ike KC for the eggs but not sure how broody they are.
Many breeds out there and many members who own them so hopefully you'll get some options soon.

May we ask what happened to your firstducklings that died. And very sorry for your loss.

I love my Runners but mine have never gone broody.
Neither have my Buffs.

Others ike KC for the eggs but not sure how broody they are.
Many breeds out there and many members who own them so hopefully you'll get some options soon.
I had Khaki Campbell’s and they disappeared. They got out and they went to the creek and they were never seen again.

Welsh Harliquins would be my suggestion. Calmer and would raise their own young. I love runners but they are a little crazy. Most other ducks don't make great moms. Check out Metzers website for breed comparisons. They have fertility rates and mom rates. It's a very good source of information. Until recently, I always ordered day olds, mine are viewed as half farm animals and half pets. I just hatched two sets and the difference in the disposition of day olds and ones you hatch yourself is remarkable. If what you want is pets, hatching is the way to go. Even if you don't want babies or eggs, please watch your drake ratio. I have a rapist gander that is terrorizing my other goose.
I second the Welshies. I have Cayugas, a Runner, a Magpie, a Rouen, and a whole mess of Welshies. My Rouen is super sweet, and very friendly. My Cayugas are loud and skittish even though they were hand raised. My runner is nuts. My Magpie hen is very quiet and sweet, but shy. My Welshies, on the other hand, are such nice calm birds. They were not hand raised, and are inquisitive and friendly. They will eat from your hands and follow you around. They are always building nests and trying to brood. I have heard that they make wonderful mothers, and plan to let them do their thing next spring.
If you are looking for strictly pets, though, calls are a fantastic choice. They are fun little birds, and pretty darn easy to tame. I currently have an imprinted grey call duckling that comes everywhere with me. She's a hoot.

Back
Top Bottom