What kind of ducks are these?

PuddleSplash

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
We brought these ducks home yesterday to add to the ones we have already and they don't look like the pictures I'm seeing online of the breed he said they are. Any ideas?

Supposedly they're a male (the one in front with the most light grey coloring, though I don't see a drake feather) and 4 females, all blue Swedes...

Last edited:
Thanks

I'm wondering now if they're a mix of some kind - the duck on the bottom left of this picture is a blue Swede/ancona mix and her coloring is pretty similar to a couple of these.

The body shape suggests who you think is a drake is correct.....but hard to say from the pic. I'm not one who depends upon the curled tail covert.

Clint

I wouldnt rely on the drake feather to tell you. My Black Swedish drake doesnt have one. He does however, have a very very low quacking voice. As this is my first time owning a drake, I dont know if this is a reliable way to tell if it's a drake or not.

I wouldnt rely on the drake feather to tell you. My Black Swedish drake doesnt have one. He does however, have a very very low quacking voice. As this is my first time owning a drake, I dont know if this is a reliable way to tell if it's a drake or not.
Interesting, since I only have Muscovy, all I had ever read about other domestic ducks ways to tell if you had a drake was by voice and drake feather. and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi I was wondering what kind of duck I have as well, and she looks similar to some of these photos. Can someone let me know what she is? My guess is Blue Swedish X something... but I'm totally new to domestic ducks, I normally rescue and release wild ducks, but then I ended up with this little one and now she has a home with me (love her to bits actually). Its hard to see from these photos but she stands quite upright, and at the moment she has mostly black feet with a bit of white in the webbing.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
smile.png

I think yes that's a mix. I don't know really much of anything, other than the the look-alike Pekin x KCs that hatched here. That one of yours looks like a drake with a green bill to me and looks like you'll see some wing bars later. KC crossed with Blue Sweede maybe?
That will grow into a very handsome duck regardless!!

Yes the one up front is a young mail for sure just need to
wait for a tail feather of feathers to curl but the hens are
a mix of some type and if I were to guess I would say
a Kaki Campbell or some Mallard but I could be wrong
on the mix but yes your male looks to be a Swedish Blue ..

gander007

Back
Top Bottom