What kind of feed for 3 week old chicks?

GoodLuckCharlie!

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
I started my chicks from birth on chicken starter mash-but when I ran out on a Sunday and the feed store I buy from wasn't open, I went to another feed store, and they told me that this product was organci and good for the chicks-2 weeks old then-Organic Pride Chicken Layer Crumble...did I make the right decision on food for them? They are 3 weeks old now. I have 2 Javas and 3 EE's. What is your favorite feed for your chicks-juveniles-then full grown? Thanks again.

they really need to be on medicated chick starter, they'll be ok on the crumble, but it is less protein, not medicated- so as soon as you can get them on chick starter medicated, and keep them on that till they start laying, the feed store didn't realize you were talking chicks rather than grown layers

I'm not going the medicated feed route-I have sooooo many food and environmental allergies that I'm trying out raising chickens so as not to have those problems and be able to eat eggs. I told the feed store they were only 2 weeks old and when I looked up the feed online it says for starting chicks but not the age-is the feed wrong? Thanks.

If there is calcium in the layer feed (and there probably is), they shouldn't be eating it yet. I understand that calcium in excess can cause kidney and liver damage in babies. I'd put them back on starter. My starter is medicated and it is a crumble form. I don't wet it at all for them.

Yep, don't give them the layer yet! Only chick crumble right now.
smile.png

GoodLuckCharlie! :

I'm not going the medicated feed route-I have sooooo many food and environmental allergies that I'm trying out raising chickens so as not to have those problems and be able to eat eggs. I told the feed store they were only 2 weeks old and when I looked up the feed online it says for starting chicks but not the age-is the feed wrong? Thanks.

Smart move, unless you have disease issues there is no reason to put them on medicated feed. I'd go with flock raiser or chicken grower(mash may be easier for them to handle now)--assuming all the starter is used up at which point I'd mix the two until the starter is gone. Do not go to layer until you see the first eggs--their bodies cannot handle the calcium that is in layer until they need it for shells.​

I actually got to the point of being all stressed out because of this...I thought I was doing pretty good-I read a whole lot on the forum...anyhoo...I looked at the feed bag again, and the little red tag fell off that tells the ingredients, and then I realized I saved the receipt from buying it...the receipt says the feed I bought is Organic Chick Starter feed...is this right? its brown and crumbly. I also gave them a couple mealworms today for the first time, so I'm watching them for reactions to that...I feel paranoid now...jeesh. Thanks for the help
smile.png

Don't be paranoid. Organic Chick Starter feed is just fine. I usually feed starter and grower until around 16-18 weeks. That's about the time I switch to a layer feed.

GoodLuckCharlie! :

I actually got to the point of being all stressed out because of this...I thought I was doing pretty good-I read a whole lot on the forum...anyhoo...I looked at the feed bag again, and the little red tag fell off that tells the ingredients, and then I realized I saved the receipt from buying it...the receipt says the feed I bought is Organic Chick Starter feed...is this right? its brown and crumbly. I also gave them a couple mealworms today for the first time, so I'm watching them for reactions to that...I feel paranoid now...jeesh. Thanks for the help
smile.png

And make sure you are giving them chick grit since you have given mealworms....​

Crud
ep.gif
I knew that...and forgot! Thanks everyone-this forum/community has been the best!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom